Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the air intake system on my car of late. I have a CDA down where the OE box was, MAF, then factory plastics to top elbow, AL silicon elbow to plenum. The OE plastic bit looks ugly and I'm thinking I might just fancy a pipe without resonator, anyone have one that wasn't buckets if cash?

Are they any good?

Not too bothered about performance as a few horses here or there isn't noticeable in real terms anyway.

What do the rest of you lot have? What's good, what's bad etc?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Autodelta carbon intake pipe here. Standard box and filter. My crackle paint thread shows what it looks like.

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Standard resonator section and MAF placement but with a K&N cone & sock. Came with the car, it wouldn't be my first choice but I'm hesitant to take it off because it sounds gorgeous and totally compliments the prototype silenced Wizard system I've got. Driving down walled roads or between houses I can't help but mute the stereo and drop the windows :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Standard resonator section and MAF placement but with a K&N cone & sock. Came with the car, it wouldn't be my first choice but I'm hesitant to take it off because it sounds gorgeous and totally compliments the prototype silenced Wizard system I've got. Driving down walled roads or between houses I can't help but mute the stereo and drop the windows :cool:
Does anyone do a replacement shaped pipe to remove the resonator section that doesn't cost buckets of cash/a kidney?

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Does anyone do a replacement shaped pipe to remove the resonator section that doesn't cost buckets of cash/a kidney?
The polished steel ones that pop up on ebay.it from time to time are reasonably priced, about £90 I think.

I sometimes get used Autodelta carbon pipes and sell them for £80 a pop.

You can just cut the resonators off the original pipe and fibreglass the holes over & paint it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Did you say prototype silenced wizard system? :) Funny, I sent Wiz a PM today about what options are about. How is the prototype? Let us know some feedback when you're ready :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Did you say prototype silenced wizard system? :) Funny, I sent Wiz a PM today about what options are about. How is the prototype? Let us know some feedback when you're ready :thumbs:
Doesn't work too well with CF2 manifolds especially on the 147, it kills the high pitch howl and leaves a deeper, more bassy tone which then resonates inside the cabin. We're still working on a solution, we've got someone's backbox at the moment which is getting new internals to try and cure the bassy resonance. Silenced sportcat instead of trying to fit a silencer on the mid pipe seems to work better.

Haven't tried a mid-silencer on a 156 GTA with CF2s yet but on mine with original manifolds it is a nice subtle sounding exhaust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The polished steel ones that pop up on ebay.it from time to time are reasonably priced, about £90 I think.

I sometimes get used Autodelta carbon pipes and sell them for £80 a pop.

You can just cut the resonators off the original pipe and fibreglass the holes over & paint it.
Ooooo, give me a buzz when a second hand AD one pops up will you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are these autodelta carbon intakes the same size for GTA as 2.5 V6?

There's one in flea bay that has caught my eye.

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Yes should be the same. I saw that one on eBay, it looks the right shape/size but I've never seen one with that edging before, looking like two mirrored half-pipes that have been sandwiched together rather than a one-piece pipe.

I'll let you know if I get a used one in.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
From what you've been saying the silenced sports cat is the way to go.. think I will stop dawdling/ pestering you and go for it when some money comes in :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
From what you've been saying the silenced sports cat is the way to go.. think I will stop dawdling/ pestering you and go for it when some money comes in :thumbs:
It's what I've been harking on about since I've had mine fitted Fewleh! Now with added videos too for you to listen to :)

As for the intake etc, I'll be able to comment more once Thursday is out the way but the setup I've got feels extremely strong and have not noticed any side effects to ditching the whole intake pipe and putting in the CDA in its place close to the plenum ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Pud, have you got a URL to the store on eBay.it? Or do you know how to search for these on the site... Afraid my Italian in not that good :)

Thanks,
Francois

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Hi Pud, have you got a URL to the store on eBay.it? Or do you know how to search for these on the site... Afraid my Italian in not that good :)

Thanks,
Francois
I've just had a look through 20 pages on eBay.it and couldn't find any, they do come up though so if you just search Alfa Romeo 147 GTA and you'll come across some eventually bud. :)

Here's a photo of mine fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just had a look through 20 pages on eBay.it and couldn't find any, they do come up though so if you just search Alfa Romeo 147 GTA and you'll come across some eventually bud. :)

Here's a photo of mine fitted.
Thanks for taking the time to look into for me, much appreciated. Will keep checking ebay as you suggest and see how i go.

That is one sweet looking engine bay! I am currently in the process of painting my cam cover and plenum but yours has definitely got the originality factor going for it.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to look into for me, much appreciated. Will keep checking ebay as you suggest and see how i go.

That is one sweet looking engine! I am currently in the process of painting my cam cover and plenum but yours has definitely got the originality factor going for it.
No worries, thanks for the compliments though. I tried to make it look different but also with an OEM feel to it :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I once saw a photo where an owner had removed the battery and taken the intake straight across the engine bay horizontally and terminated in the nearside wing area. Looked like a solid attempt to remove the complexity of the stock system. It did look to shorten the intake significantly though so i'm not sure what affect that would have on performance.

I miss mucking around with my GTA :( nobody does any proper tuning on the Jaguar forums.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts