Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had talk one or two weeks ago about the importat that it is to count not only miles or time to change belts and tensioners but hours of motor running like airplanes.

I talked yesterday with my mechanic about this because in six months I will have 3 years since my belts change but only 7.000 miles :eek: and I mentioned him about the importance of motor hours running and really he is very interested about knowing how many hours / year we have to count.

I had really search the tech forum last days and I can´t find it. :rant:

Who was that talked about this or what thread is it ? :confused:

Cheers

Jorge

·
Administrator
46,120 Posts
Jorge, generally you should count it as 12,000 miles being a year (you'll have to convert that into kms obviously.)
So for instance, if a part is supposed to be replaced at the 36,000 mile service, then if the car gets to three years old and hasn't reached that mileage, you should get it replaced anyway.

W

·
0 Posts
Yup, Bazza is right....VERY suprised your mechanic doesn't know this as it is the indutry standard!

According to Alfa belts should be replaced every 6 years or 72k..BUT that is far too long and they now check them at 36k. Most owners on here replace at 36k as well due to many failures of the little rubber belt.

Your problem is that you will never reach the mileage but the passage of time will allow the rubber to become perished or just get old.....still needs replacing.

Replacing the belt is a quick and cheap job...I would get it done ;)

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
We would normally have belts and tensioners replaced at 36k, would Jorge need the tensioners replaced as well, as his mileage is so low????

W

·
0 Posts
Perhaps do them at 6/72? Dunno...Jorge, you really need to use you motor a bit more ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Barry said:
We would normally have belts and tensioners replaced at 36k, would Jorge need the tensioners replaced as well, as his mileage is so low????
No, belts only. Tensioner should last for 36k as normal. The belt is perishable (as Wrinx said) but the tensioner is not.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys !
Many thanks for your quick answer. ( like always )
I tell you that my babe is end 1997 model and it has now 23.375 miles :eek:
2 years and a half ago ( 18.000 miles from factory ) I changed not only belts also tensioners for the white new ones for precaution. ;)
So, in 6 months I will have only 25.000 miles from factory and 7.000 miles since last belts change. Thinking that they must be changed each 3 years, but it is so little mileage, that I doubt about working in that stuff again, only 7.000 miles since last change like I had already said. :confused:
I know because you talked about this in the tech forum that I have to add several miles for running and idling, but If is normal to add 12.000 miles to your mileage in a car that does 10 o 12.000 miles a year how many I have to add to mine that runs only 2.500 ??? ( maybe 3.000 ? )
Do you think that it can fail with so low mileage ?
Last change 7.000 + 9.000 ( add 3.ooo per year for runnig and idling )=16.000
I think maybe it will last at least 1 year more, don´t you think ? ;)
Any ideas?

Cheers
Jorge
But

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps do them at 6/72? Dunno...Jorge, you really need to use you motor a bit more
Yes ! Wrinx you are right, but city where I live is very little and because of my heart problem I have to walk at least 3 miles per day, so go to almost any place walking, so I use the babe all days but only 7-8 miles a day. :(

VERY suprised your mechanic doesn't know this as it is the indutry standard!
He knows but not how many miles is necessary to add exactly. :tut:

Cheers

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The thing with belts is that there's no hard and fast rules for changing them. Alfa orginally said 72,000 miles or 6 years old. Now they say 36,000 miles or 3 years old.

My old 33 had the same probs as yours - while I had a company car I didn't use it enough to do the mileage so it got old before it got mileage.

In the end I changed the belts at 48,000 miles and 8 years old. The mechanic said the belts were "perfect".

Rubber rots with age because of heat. If your car sits in a cool dark garage all day then I'd leave your belts a bit longer. If it spends a lot of time outside (I assume it's hot where you are) whether the engine is run or not, then the belt will be more "brittle" and it'll be a good precaution to change it now.

Personally, I'd leave it but it's not my valves...!

Ralf S.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there Ralf !

"Alfa orginally said 72,000 miles or 6 years old. Now they say 36,000 miles or 3 years old."

I really do not understand very much so abrupt change of mind of Alfa, because it is not from 6 to 4 or 5 years, it is half the time and mileage !!! :eek:

In the end I changed the belts at 48,000 miles and 8 years old. The mechanic said the belts were "perfect".
I also had a 33 ( 1700 cc.twin carburators ) and I had changed them each 4 years with few miles and they always were like " New from factory". So....... :confused:

And when I changed at 18.000 miles 2 years and a half ago they werw really like new. I compared the old ones with the new ones with a large glass and I can´t find any difference. Also the Alfa Romeo make was untouched !
A waist of money I think. :rolleyes:

Weather is not hot here Ralf, now we have 0° :tut: and in summer time january and february it goes from 18° to 30°, but my babe is in a very fresh and closed parking. :D

I think that will wait another year and it will have then 10.000 miles from last change, it will be more reasonable I think and also a peace of mind like you say.

Cheers

Jorge

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I agree. Mind you, I never took a belt off that looked like it was going to break at any moment... they always look like new!

In a way it's good that Alfa have cut the change time - if they originally suggested 72,000/6 years then the belt must be more or less indestructible at 36,000/3 yrs.

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
There have been far too many belt failures at 50-72k to risk leaving it beyond 35-40k..although my twinny went all the way to 72k (before I knew about the 36k advice!) and the belt looked brand new. Point is you never know whats going on with a belt until you take it off...and then you might as well replace it!

I think you're right Jorge, leave it longer...we all agree but to recommend that is risky, especially if it breaks in a week's time and someone blames us for bad advice ;) :D

wrinx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts