6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you?

Dropped litter
Bad driving
Bad parking
Foul language
Rude kids
Living off the state is acceptable, the norm.
Consumerism

Where is the respect now? I'm ashamed of what we have become as a species and I'm not looking for the 'for' arguments as that is my whole point.

M

·
0 Posts
Mate....I care.

I hate the standards that modern society accept......they both sadden and anger me.

E

·
0 Posts
I totally agree. People seem to just want things handed to them for little effort, you only have to look at the number of reality shows we have now, that show this again and again.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I confronted a group of girls in Birmingham last night because they threw litter and they told me to 'eff off and get a life, the cleaners will tidy up tomorrow so chill the f&&k out'
What do you say in response?

E

·
0 Posts
I confronted a group of girls in Birmingham last night because they threw litter and they told me to 'eff off and get a life, the cleaners will tidy up tomorrow so chill the f&&k out'
That and the general lack of respect for other peoples property really bugs me.

And as you say, driving standards and parking. The end of my road comes out on to a road that gets treated like a drag strip, but people still park on the double yellow lines and block your view from the junction. I will admit I reported one guy as it bugged me that he had 4x4 which was really difficult to see past and it was purely that he could be assed to walk round from his parking space at the back.

We now have a transit sized pick up there almost every night :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
There isn't a response that they wouldn't throw back at you. They have two paths open to them...they will grow up, learn to respect their elders, life, being given a chance.....or they will just carry on as they are. If they take take the latter choice, then there is no hope...honestly, no hope at all. I have always been a firm believer that we all know the difference between right and wrong, regardless of our upbringing.....if these folk aren't brave and strong enough to face up to their responsibilities.....they don't deserve their calling.

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
Do you?

Dropped litter
Bad driving
Bad parking
Foul language
Rude kids
Living off the state is acceptable, the norm.
Consumerism

Where is the respect now? I'm ashamed of what we have become as a species and I'm not looking for the 'for' arguments as that is my whole point.
Nothing changes - I am 59 years old and your quote could easily have been made by my parents about my generation - actually I think it was. We were seen as "wanting everything for nothing", having no respect and using foul language. They had a point - at 18 I spent two years on the dole actively avoiding work and taking drugs. By 20 I got bored with all that so got a series of jobs the last one of which I have done for nearly 40 years.

My and LizR's "children" are all now aged 30+ and work really hard to maintain decent lives.

My eldest granddaughter is coming up 15, works hard at school and has a much more positive attitude than I did at her age.

It ain't all bad.

Bottom line? - People are basically decent or not - it transcends generations and I don't think it has really got worse.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
And me......:thumbs:

My list is a lot longer......top of the list is young parents screaming at their kids in public. Makes me wonder what they do in private.......:(
They put them in front of the TV so they don't have to deal with them :(

Well ...shoot them in the ass with toy gun :)
in front of their families??? ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I care.

Coming back in to the office after Friday lunch, un-noticed by me I dropped a tissue on the pavement as I pulled out my office pass to swipe back in. One of my much younger colleagues joked that I was littering as we walked in, and then proceeded to be amazed as I went back out to pick it up.

I was taught at school to pick up litter whenever I see it whether it is mine or not. I confess that I don't do that with everything I see on the street, but if there's broken glass or the like I'll pick it up and bin it for safety's sake.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Regular routine in barracks and when out training in the field was the cleaning of areas. Back to basics keeping the barracks smart. And in the field for us as troops in a troop, Sqn. the regulations were strictly enforced with regard to burying at a depth of at least 18" personal effluent. Compo tins were also buried, any combustible material was incinerated.

A Desert Rose was a thin walled petrol can, (the Germans developed the Jerry can iirc?) and these flimsy cans (5gals or so?) were dug into the sand as urinals, to rot away in their own good time I suppose?

We were a tidy disciplined lot in the main, with respect for one another and the world in general.
My missus thinks I've got RCD as I still insist on shoes off on entry into the house, shiny white bogs and sinks, bright and clean eating irons, and immaculate crockery!

She hates it when I go around with my white gloves on inspecting for cobwebs and dust on top of furniture! :D :lol: Do my own personal Dobey, and always have shiny shoes, clean trainers with no twisted laces. Next??? :cheese:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I was brought up to have self respect/show respect and also have manners and I teach my children the same. I am often appalled at how some people in society behave.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I care.

Coming back in to the office after Friday lunch, un-noticed by me I dropped a tissue on the pavement as I pulled out my office pass to swipe back in. One of my much younger colleagues joked that I was littering as we walked in, and then proceeded to be amazed as I went back out to pick it up.

I was taught at school to pick up litter whenever I see it whether it is mine or not. I confess that I don't do that with everything I see on the street, but if there's broken glass or the like I'll pick it up and bin it for safety's sake.
Exactly, it's now seen as acceptable because taxes pay for street cleaners so why not throw it on the floor?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
That's what I like to hear Diva.:thumbs:

When we lived at Whittlesey about fourteen years ago, the only comments we made about the city center were regarding the blobs of chewing gum on the pavements. Apart from that it was a pretty tidy place? Bad behaviour and scruffiness just seems to have accelerated in the extreme over the past decade or so, everywhere? :(:

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
Nothing changes - I am 59 years old and your quote could easily have been made by my parents about my generation - actually I think it was. We were seen as "wanting everything for nothing", having no respect and using foul language. They had a point - at 18 I spent two years on the dole actively avoiding work and taking drugs. By 20 I got bored with all that so got a series of jobs the last one of which I have done for nearly 40 years.

My and LizR's "children" are all now aged 30+ and work really hard to maintain decent lives.

My eldest granddaughter is coming up 15, works hard at school and has a much more positive attitude than I did at her age.

It ain't all bad.

Bottom line? - People are basically decent or not - it transcends generations and I don't think it has really got worse.
Except that nowadays there are people your age who never got bored and grew up, but spent their whole lives on welfare and now have children and grandchildren who did the same.
Three generations of ignorant, spoilt, badly behaved louts:(

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
We, the respectful, tidy, considerate like thinkers here should always set a good example regardless. Say nowt' (might get decked and a right kicking if ones mouth is opened :D) but just do the action.

Pick the litter up, and walk off until you locate a bin. They look, and may make remarks, but eventually maybe the rote learning may just penetrate their skulls so they possibly might follow suit one day?

Odds on they won't but worth a try? I do that sometimes but do not confront them orally because actions may speak better than words? Silly old Duffer, but I don't care so there.:):

1 - 20 of 31 Posts