Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the Clarkson nonsense this week it got me wondering, who is more easily offended? Those on the left or those on the right ?

A union boss consulted lawyers over JC's appearance on the The One Show ! I think he was told basically to go away and get a sense of humour but WTF ! If lawyers had been consulted every time Mrs Thatcher had a bad taste joke made about her we would have run out of lawyers pretty quick :lol:

Have these people all had a sense of humour bypass or are they all just thick ?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
I sometimes whether the UK’s moral barometer and its sense of humour barometer are on speaking terms these days. If not, we’ll get to a point where even the most innocuous comment causes ‘outrage’.

But back to JC, specifically. On reflection, I think it was the timing of his comments (as much as what he said) that was insensitive.

Many people are still feeling quite raw over Gary Speed’s recent suicide. His family, friends and football fans are devastated, while for families who have been affected by a suicide, Mr Speed’s death can only open old wounds and painful memories. Against this backdrop of suicide in the spotlight, what does Clarkson do? Make a joke about suicide.

A few weeks ago, many families were affected by that ghastly collision on the M5, and seven families lost loved ones. You can’t not feel for them, especially as we get closer to Christmas, when we want to be with our families, or we quietly mourn those who are no longer around to celebrate it with us. With that in mind, JC’s comments about ‘executing’ public sector workers ‘in front of their families’, has an ugly, graphic, and crass brutality to it, that shows no sensitivity to people impacted by recent events, or the calendar year.

I don’t think he should be sacked, partly due to my point earlier about the humour/moral barometer, but also because I think this is a case of ‘love the sinner, hate the sin’. But I do think he misjudged public sentiment in his timing with those jokes; not just what he said, but when he said it, and to whom he said it - a family audience. Even if his subsequent apology was a bit half-hearted, maybe he’ll take a quiet moment to reflect and think twice about the appropriateness and timing of his jokes next time.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I sometimes whether the UK’s moral barometer and its sense of humour barometer are on speaking terms these days. If not, we’ll get to a point where even the most innocuous comment causes ‘outrage’.

But back to JC, specifically. On reflection, I think it was the timing of his comments (as much as what he said) that was insensitive.

Many people are still feeling quite raw over Gary Speed’s recent suicide. His family, friends and football fans are devastated, while for families who have been affected by a suicide, Mr Speed’s death can only open old wounds and painful memories. Against this backdrop of suicide in the spotlight, what does Clarkson do? Make a joke about suicide.

A few weeks ago, many families were affected by that ghastly collision on the M5, and seven families lost loved ones. You can’t not feel for them, especially as we get closer to Christmas, when we want to be with our families, or we quietly mourn those who are no longer around to celebrate it with us. With that in mind, JC’s comments about ‘executing’ public sector workers ‘in front of their families’, has an ugly, graphic, and crass brutality to it, that shows no sensitivity to people impacted by recent events, or the calendar year.

I don’t think he should be sacked, partly due to my point earlier about the humour/moral barometer, but also because I think this is a case of ‘love the sinner, hate the sin’. But I do think he misjudged public sentiment in his timing with those jokes; not just what he said, but when he said it, and to whom he said it - a family audience. Even if his subsequent apology was a bit half-hearted, maybe he’ll take a quiet moment to reflect and think twice about the appropriateness and timing of his jokes next time.

Hi,Scudetto:)

You have it in one.
Well measured posting.

John t L.

R

·
0 Posts
maybe he’ll take a quiet moment to reflect and think twice about the appropriateness and timing of his jokes next time.
No chance Scud. It's all part of brand Clarkson.

There's a certain demographic he's identified as deifying him and which has made him a very rich and quite disturbingly (IMO) a potentially quite influential individual. He'll keep up the schtick as long as it keeps paying the bills.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
you're probably right, RSK. And it's a pity because he can be very witty at times, without causing offense.

ADF - sorry, we have probably veered away from your original question. Sorry :(

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
I reckon Clarkson was being general and trying to put the point that

there are some things that don't need to be said more than once

·
Registered
37,774 Posts
The modern politically correct Britain has been brainwashed into getting offended at anything.

Or getting offended on someone elses behalf..

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Anyone who was offended by JC's comments should be ritually disembowelled in front of their pet cat and gerbil.

K

·
0 Posts
No chance Scud. It's all part of brand Clarkson.

There's a certain demographic he's identified as deifying him and which has made him a very rich and quite disturbingly (IMO) a potentially quite influential individual. He'll keep up the schtick as long as it keeps paying the bills.
I'm in complete agreement. I'm one of those who should apparently (or not) be shot in front of my family and I couldn't give a flying **** what he thinks about me or anyone else. He's the presenter of a fairly fatuous television programme about cars. He isn't the king, the pope, the arch-bishop of Canterbury or the Secretary General of the UN.

I think he was mostly quoted out of context on Wednesday and everyone got all indignant. Having done that, people couldn't ease off from the indignance.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I would have said that the response of the Unions to Carkson's comments
was exactly what I would have expected. They seized an opportunity to
make something out of nothing. Good politics.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Don't know what the fuss is all about as he rarely enters in my life, and nor do the unions. :D You've guessed it, I don't watch Top Gear and only march on remebrance parades and the like. Cheap beer at the RBL/ RN club? :thumbs:

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
It was a ludicrous reaction. If that was all he'd said it'd be obviously a deliberately stupid remark. The fact that he actually said the strikes were great then said "but this is the BBC, so I have to give the opposite opinion too", before going into it means you'd have to be clinically dead to not realise that it was a daft remark that he didn't even believe in himself.

AND THEN, if that weren't enough, the woman said 'this is your opinion not the One Show's', and he SAID "It's not my opinion".

N

·
0 Posts
Cheers Bazza.

I've paid little attention to the story and if you
hadn't posted that I wouldn't have realised it's
actually worse than I thought.

I hope Lord Justice Leveson stamping on a few Fleet Street
throats will cool the UK press down.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Clarkson makes all kinds of remarks on all kinds of topics, he might not agree with every opinion that he gives, but, it keeps his name on everyones lips which keeps him famous (infamous?) which keeps the money rolling in.
Seems to work, I don't suppose there is any reason for us to beleive anything he says, as even he doesn't beleive it half the time, it's just for effect.

Mick.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:confused: How can I agree with something ADF has posted ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts