Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alfa 147 gta havent had q2 diff on car done ,2003 plate with 58000 on clock, should i have it done or not or wait till it goes , any one out there with no q2 and car alright. let me know: does anyone know if more expensive when diff goes or same price if you change it when its ok

M

·
0 Posts
I don't have Q2. Mine is five yrs old with 41K. Not really considering it to be honest. It's fairly obvious the car has been cared for and I don't go in for tyre shreading starts, and always pull away carefully on full lock(this seems to be when they like to go). Having said that loads of people swear by the Q2 diff. In answer to the second question, if you are considering it seriously, don't wait for it to break, just get it done, a cheaper and less painful process I'm sure!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My 147 Gta got to 68k without Q2, not sure how the previous owners treated it but apart from not flooring it at slow speed with a bit of lock on i did not really treat it with kid gloves.

I had a load of suspension work done at 68K and did the q2 as the subframe was down and it seemed stupid not to.

realy you have to weigh up the cost(around £500) ans deceide if it sworth paying this for peace of mind. by the way if it does go you could be looking upwards of 2K for worse case senario.

·
Registered
192 Posts
recently purchased, 156 GTA 78k non Q2. Car has obviously been looked after judging by the condition but I will be getting it done when time allows soonish

·
Registered
146 Posts
we have just forked out £1748 to have our gearbox repaired after the diff exploded and came out of the gear casing my went pulling away in a straight line after letting cars turn now have Q2 fitted

M

·
0 Posts
we have just forked out £1748 to have our gearbox repaired after the diff exploded and came out of the gear casing my went pulling away in a straight line after letting cars turn now have Q2 fitted
Sorry to hear that mate.How many miles had your car done?

E

·
0 Posts
I had mine done as preventative maintenance. Loads had said about how much better the car handles but if it goes you are in for big bills, as tony has testified.

156GTASW lives near me and had his go on a low miles well cared for car. Certainly worth spending £500 of your own money rather than wait for a bill of close to £2k. It also an upgrade you will see more benefit from, as it really does rain those horses in better.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
There is a reason why you should have a Q2 done guys. The same thing happened to me.

Fitting the Q2 is a no brainer. You would be a little foolish not to. Not only is this a safety aspect in respect to the failures. The Q2 makes the GTA a completely different car. And I am not exagerating there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is a reason why you should have a Q2 done guys. The same thing happened to me.

Fitting the Q2 is a no brainer. You would be a little foolish not to. Not only is this a safety aspect in respect to the failures. The Q2 makes the GTA a completely different car. And I am not exagerating there.
+1 OA :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
The main benefit of the Q2 is the vast improvement in handling IMO (and I'm not talking about silly speeds). High powered FWD cars need an LSD and the Q2 seems ot be a very good and cost effective one. I've not done a lot of driving of high powered cars (this is my first) and I don't drive like a hooligan, but even to me the difference was very noticeable. The miantenance issue (primarily for 147 owners) is just another good reason for getting one.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
Q2 is the must have modification for any Alfa it fits, it’s not just about preventative it makes the car drive as it should have done when it left the factory. We were the first company to offer the modification and we have done hundreds of them. We have also rebuilt a large number of gearboxes that have head diff failures, we are having broken boxes sent to us from all over the world.

The problem is currently Alfa have realised how popular this modification is and have just dramatically increased the cost of the Q2, we are currently not quoting for fitment as we want negotiate a sensible price for our diffs.

Ned

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Ned, do you you know if that's the price of off the shelf parts or the price of back ordered stock?

If the former then Alfa are being right profiteering gits :(

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't have Q2. Mine is five yrs old with 41K. Not really considering it to be honest. It's fairly obvious the car has been cared for and I don't go in for tyre shreading starts, and always pull away carefully on full lock(this seems to be when they like to go). Having said that loads of people swear by the Q2 diff. In answer to the second question, if you are considering it seriously, don't wait for it to break, just get it done, a cheaper and less painful process I'm sure!
Likewise :thumbs:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have around 70k on the original diff... just fitted the Q2 at the weekend.. not driven the car much this week so not sure how different it feels yet.

its actually an easy enough job to fit the Q2... I made it harder by fitting a clutch at the same time.. I think the Q2 could be fitted in 5 or 6 hours and car back on the road :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts