Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Nice setup!!! I am not sure about SSDs i had two fail on me and i lost all my data, that was back in 2011, maybe they are better built now. I love graphics cards they allow the cpu to run cooler as they take pressure off when watching youtube videos in HD. Video cards are not just for games. I dont have a big end card, but a mid ranged around $500.
I have a small 60Gb SSD with Windows 8.1 installed but then almost all programs are installed to a different drive and files are saved to a 3-drive RAID setup. This is all backed up to a home NAS and some files are also backed up to SkyDrive. The NAS has 2 drives in case one of them fails and this also stores media files and other device backups.

Main PC is running a quad-core 3.1GHz AMD with a "mid-range not-compatible but works fine for me" ATI graphics card which technically stopped being support at Win7, 8Gb RAM, total of about 1.2Tb in storage and 2x24" widescreen Iiyama monitors. Don't really game on it though - mainly Football Manager... tbh it's overkill for most of what it's used for (one reason I haven't bought a new GFX card) and it is USB3. Games are for PS3 currently.

That's all from memory though so...

C

·
0 Posts
I quite like computers - the one I support at work is just a bit bigger than your typical PC :D

C

·
0 Posts
I totally detest the flaming things but, I wouldn't know what I'd without one now.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Nice setup!!! I am not sure about SSDs i had two fail on me and i lost all my data, that was back in 2011, maybe they are better built now. I love graphics cards they allow the cpu to run cooler as they take pressure off when watching youtube videos in HD. Video cards are not just for games. I dont have a big end card, but a mid ranged around $500.
I got my first SSD about 3 years ago and it's still going strong. The performance increase was great. Just before that I tried a 10k SATA drive in one of them and the improvement was almost as spectacular, if a little noisier.

I've had hard drives fail before so I'm not bothered about it, SSDs or not. Like Amicuspro, The data is on the NAS box with 3 copies of data held at home and one in the cloud (when Virginmedia's crappy software actually works). The NAS box has mirrored drives for additional protection.

The small hard drives just contain Windows and the programs and so can be rebuilt pretty easily (after all, it's my job) without worrying about data loss.

The hard drive bus is just about the slowest component in a PC with an SSD, so I guess the next upgrade will be a PCI hard drive, but they are still a little expensive.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
We have no real visibility on the machines we use at work anymore.

All big rack clusters somewhere in the US with multiple multicore CPUs.

I think you can get a year's free subscription to Amazon's EC2 cloud if you want to have access to some compute power.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
We have no real visibility on the machines we use at work anymore.

All big rack clusters somewhere in the US with multiple multicore CPUs.

I think you can get a year's free subscription to Amazon's EC2 cloud if you want to have access to some compute power.
A lot of the stuff I'm about to build will be like that, sticking a new virtualised infrastructure in a datacentre in London, the virtual host machines are quite nice, 32 hyperthreaded cores, expandable to about 400 GB of RAM, plenty of cpu cycles and memory to bring to bear if required.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I build computers in my spare time, lately due to a lack of space and portability I now have a laptop:

Asus G750JW
17'3 Full HD Screen
Intel i7 4700HQ Haswell
16gb Ram
2x 750gb Western Digital Blacks
Nvidia GTX765m

My next project is to build a HTPC, Linux based.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I build computers in my spare time, lately due to a lack of space and portability I now have a laptop:

Asus G750JW
17'3 Full HD Screen
Intel i7 4700HQ Haswell
16gb Ram
2x 750gb Western Digital Blacks
Nvidia GTX765m

My next project is to build a HTPC, Linux based.
Full as in 1920x1080 as minimum res I presume... Just 'cause I see far too many laptops advertised as full HD these days with lower resolutions.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I've got a menagerie of various things... Surface 2 (Windows 8.1RT .. typing this post on it), a Sony Vaio laptop(Windows 8.1), a MacBook Air (MacOS X 10.7), a self-built Core i9 tower (MacOS X 10.6, Windows 7, Ubuntu as required), plus the various hardware our product runs on. (I'm a programmer by trade, currently writing control software for broadband/3G/4G connection-aggregating routers)

That said, I've never been "into" computers. The self build was because I needed something to replace an old Mac Pro, didn't need a server class CPU (if I did, it'd be in a rack, not under my desk), and didn't want to pay for something I didn't need. I'd never felt the need to build a "custom" before, and probably won't again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I dont think i will build another custom one again for a long time. Problem in last 3 years is that not much has changed. We still use PCI express, Laptops and PC's still coming out with just a Quad core, and 4GB is the Norm. I would have thought by now Windows would require 16GB memory. Things have been very stagnent.

Although new HD format has just arrived on youtube. My computer cant handle it!!! its call 4K and 2kK resolution.

Try to play this vid in 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJGnHB3rtMU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Super Moderator
44,939 Posts
Is the stagnation because consoles are holding us back? Everything is made to run on an xbox 360, so of course it doesn't tax a top notch PC.

Now the next generation of consoles are out, maybe PC's will have a bit of a surge. Although it won't take much of one to put them out of sight again.

Are you sure your PC is struggling with 4K, or is it your internet connection?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Vid runs but it's not in 4K. (Monitors are not yet 4K anyway so what's the point?)

4K (and 8K after it) will be a hit in my opinion because it looks good
(Unlike the gimicky 175 year old tech of stereoscopic images.)

Saying that tech has not progressed in 3 years is a bit disingenuous.

Behind the scenes chip processes have been drastically improved.
(We've gone from 32nm for 14nm in that timeframe.)
As have the methods required to design them.

We've had:
Uptake of USB3.0
Touchscreens on laptops.
Upgrades in Wireless tech/speed.
Power consumption reductions (leading to reductions in size, cooling etc.) -> This is where we are predicted to see
the most change in small internet connected devices. Finally the low-power tech is adequate for these older ideas to blossom,)

The real reason is that the majority people can now do what they mostly want to do
(email, AO, Facebook.) With a phone and don't need a laptop or desktop.
Stands to reason people are shifting to tablets and phones and not upgrading their PCs.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts