Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope i am not the only one who has 16 tabs open on the browser, downloads 40GB a day, plays world of wacraft in windowed mode and pokerstars at the same time.

My specs are 8 core AMD 16GB memory, NZXT full tower case, 2TB, (Build late 2011 very expensive then),3GB DDR5 video card, Water cooling system custom build by me using Alfa 156 heater core with both hoses attached to the CPU using Corsair brand. Running the Cpu fan up against the heater core. I get 57-63 degrees celcius max, works a treat. So my PC now has an Alfa badge attached on the front. Also used the sound proofing pads from the 156 rear seat footwells to use on my PC case, very quite now.

Anyone else obsessed with pc's from here? :thumbs:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How the hell do i put a photo to show up on the thread? html code is not working damn

·
Registered
37,511 Posts
Have you joined the AO folding team (top of this forum section)

The team (163049) could do with your help :thumbs:

Although I suspect the Alfa Mods will have introduced a significant element of unreliability in your PC :tut:

:lol:

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
Omg really lol, i grew up when pentiums just came out, so i loved them since then, i spend 12hrs at work and 7 hrs at home each day on them.
Been through phases with them since about 18/19 (I'm 50 now). However over the years the hobby became a job and is no longer an interest. I like my work on the whole but when home time arrives I switch off computers.
T'is cars for me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Have you joined the AO folding team (top of this forum section)

The team (163049) could do with your help :thumbs:

Although I suspect the Alfa Mods will have introduced a significant element of unreliability in your PC :tut:

:lol:

lol i see the folding sounds great i will start this week, although i calculated it will cost me $17 a month in electricity. Its not a green process but i guess it is for a good cause. My computer runs at 900w when maxed

·
Super Moderator
85,891 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
I hope i am not the only one who has 16 tabs open on the browser, downloads 40GB a day, plays world of wacraft in windowed mode and pokerstars at the same time.

My specs are 8 core AMD 16GB memory, NZXT full tower case, 2TB, (Build late 2011 very expensive then),3GB DDR5 video card, Water cooling system custom build by me using Alfa 156 heater core with both hoses attached to the CPU using Corsair brand. Running the Cpu fan up against the heater core. I get 57-63 degrees celcius max, works a treat. So my PC now has an Alfa badge attached on the front. Also used the sound proofing pads from the 156 rear seat footwells to use on my PC case, very quite now.

Anyone else obsessed with pc's from here? :thumbs:

Think ill leave this thread, i like tech but im proper lost but your gear sounds impressive :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
44,750 Posts
I'm just semi-mad :loopy:

Will have to check specs later tonight but I prefer my Coolermaster Cosmos...
Spooky. I have a Coolermaster Cosmos too.

Actually, I have two of them as it happens.

·
Super Moderator
44,750 Posts
They don't make it any more. And pretty sure it wasn't available in different colours.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have a 16 Gb i7 built by myself less than 2 years ago in a Silverstone CW02 case so it looks like an amp and is in in a hifi rack. As it's mainly a HTPC and not a games machine, I don't have a fancy graphics card. Although the i7 can be overclocked, it's mainly built for silence with a very large fanless CPU cooler and silent PSU. That case means you don't have to compromise on components unlike a lot of HTPC builds.

I also have a mini tower with similar specification but an i5 for use by the rest of the family. They all run off SSDs with a Synology NAS box for data storage. The i7 has a spare large SATA drive to back the NAS box up several times and copy the data to cloud storage for an off site backup.

The i7 may sound like overkill, but I also spin up virtual machines for when I'm updating my IT certifications.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 16 Gb i7 built by myself less than 2 years ago in a Silverstone CW02 case so it looks like an amp and is in in a hifi rack. As it's mainly a HTPC and not a games machine, I don't have a fancy graphics card. Although the i7 can be overclocked, it's mainly built for silence with a very large fanless CPU cooler and silent PSU. That case means you don't have to compromise on components unlike a lot of HTPC builds.

I also have a mini tower with similar specification but an i5 for use by the rest of the family. They all run off SSDs with a Synology NAS box for data storage. The i7 has a spare large SATA drive to back the NAS box up several times and copy the data to cloud storage for an off site backup.

The i7 may sound like overkill, but I also spin up virtual machines for when I'm updating my IT certifications.
Nice setup!!! I am not sure about SSDs i had two fail on me and i lost all my data, that was back in 2011, maybe they are better built now. I love graphics cards they allow the cpu to run cooler as they take pressure off when watching youtube videos in HD. Video cards are not just for games. I dont have a big end card, but a mid ranged around $500.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts