Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of a more deserving person than Mark Cavendish (but I would, wouldn't I? :rolleyes:)

He's still young, won the Road World Champs this year, as well as the Green Jersey in the Tour de France (effectively the 'sprinter's jersey, and second only to the Yellow Jersey of the overall winner on G.C.)

He's a Manxman with a big gob on him. But he rides and talks from the heart, he's passionate about the sport and always has a good word to say about the rest of his team, be it his trade team or the GB squad - getting him to the front at the Worlds for example, where the Manx Missile launched himself, and no-one could touch him. Dangerous, exciting, epic!

He lives in Essex too now, and can often be seen in the Blue Egg at Great Bardfield when he's on a training ride, chomping on a bacon butty with a big mug of tea - and he'll have a talk with you, he's very personable.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Cavendish is a good call, brilliant cyclist :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Cav. Has had a superb year, done more to raise the profile of cycle racing than anyone before him; I suspect he has won more accolades/trophy's than any of the other nominees. It would also be a tribute to Team Sky and the British team as a whole, who have also had a blistering year and even at the end of a long day, his first mention is always of the hard work of the team.

He is a bit gobby but strikes me as a really nice bloke who really appreciates his fans. Not too sure about his significant other though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well I guess it depends on whether you like sport in general, to a great extent?
I enjoy sport ... football, athletics, golf etc ... just cant be bothered with awards programmes Oscars, Brits, Mobos... desperately tedious gladhanding, self publisising, empty headed celebrity culture... :mad:

And dont get me started on honours lists etc...

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I enjoy sport ... football, athletics, golf etc ... just cant be bothered with awards programmes Oscars, Brits, Mobos... desperately tedious gladhanding, self publisising, empty headed celebrity culture... :mad:

And dont get me started on honours lists etc...
:lol: I guess you've never been nominated.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts

I kind of agree with this. What is the point of the award? Is it given to someone who has raised the profile of their sport? Does it focus on their achievements within the sport, or a mixture of both?

Anyway, if I was to vote for someone, then I'd vote for Sarah Stevenson. She has had an incredible year and not in a good way either, she lost both her parents within three months but despite that, she is still top of her sport.
BBC Sport - Taekwondo world champion Sarah Stevenson fighting on for parents

However since she is not one of the nominees :confused: :tut:, then if I was to vote, I would cast it for Alastair Cook, for helping to crucify the Australians in their "back yard" :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts