Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Iam getting white smoke out of the exhaust pipe but the weird thing is that it only happens from time to time and only when the car stops. Any ideas of what the problem may be?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could be a head gasket gone and
water in the combustion chamber,
but could also be just condensation
steaming off (quite normal)

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is it that everytime the fan starts the smike starts to come out.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slight leak in radiator maybe?
Are you using any water?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the fan is on then the engine temp is up, so the pressure in the cooling system is higher than normal.

If you have any sort of blowing or weak gasket, it's more likely to leak then than when the engine is at a normal temperature (or cold).

If it's a gasket problem you'll have other symptoms, like mustard in the water tank, or goo under the oil filler cap. Even if there's no sign of oil & water mixing you'll be losing water.

Head gasket is a head-off job to fix but on the other hand you can take the opportunity to change the cambelt/variator/valve guide seals etc. if any of those needed doing soon.

Ralf S.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the head gasket sorry to say. Can you smell exhaust gas in the expansion tank? You can get a test kit which dtects carbon monoxide in the expansion tank or get your local mot tester to stick his probe in!!!!!. I changed the head gasket on mine earlier this year. The car ran fine , never got any wahere near hot but used a little water and the cooling system was being pressurised by the compression stroke. Regarding changing the gasket, it is not necessary to remove the head completely, you can just remove the head studs and lift it up a couple of inches, slide old gasket out , give the surfaces a clean and put new one in. This saves removing all the inlet manifold etc. If you suspect you may have cooked the head you ought to have it pressure tested. But if you are doing the job yourself I would just change the gasket first and give it a try. The worst that can happen is you will have to buy another head gasket. You will still need to remove the belt(s) and time it back up whatever method you use. If you want to hire my cam locks then contact me at [email protected]

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regarding my cam locks just noticed you live in Honduras , could be a problem here!!!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I'll start to check the gaskets today after work..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts