Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a problem with my alfa 159 2.4 diesel 2006. At cold start for like a half minute iin the engine bay on the left side mostly(opposite from the battery(or maby more in the middle, don’t know exactly)) i can see white smoke fumes coming just as in the exhaust. And it makes a ruf idle. Maby someone have faced this kind of problem? Sorry for my bad English tho.. 😄 thanks for every advice:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a leak or steam from the radiator but would expect that after car has been running for longer than you said.
Don’t think so, it only happens at cold start for like 20-30 seconds and then it is gone. I must mention SOMETIMES it happens on the road for again 20-30 seconds. But this has happent like 3 times in 3 months.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The rough running may be a clogged intake manifold, and not necessarily connected - it's quite common as the EGR soot mixes with oil and chokes the engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check the pipe work that feeds the EGR valve from the exhast manifold. It has some jubilee clips which may have come loose over time. I think you may have to remove the battery to get to the one at the back of the engine.
Failing that...it may be a bolt on the exhause manifold which has broken, initially starting the car when cold, and therefore the metals contracted, allows the exhaust fumes to escape but after it warms and expands it closes up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've just had this problem. Turned out to be the flexi-joint in the exhaust at the rear of the engine block leaking. This causes the smoke, especially bad when the EGR kicks in and also the rough idle. In my case it was also causing an EGR fault. Try spraying some liquid soap on the joint to see if you get any bubbles.

Cheers,

V.A.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've just had this problem. Turned out to be the flexi-joint in the exhaust at the rear of the engine block leaking. This causes the smoke, especially bad when the EGR kicks in and also the rough idle. In my case it was also causing an EGR fault. Try spraying some liquid soap on the joint to see if you get any bubbles.

Cheers,

V.A.
great reply above. Thought it may have been a joint seal that was leaking as engine cold as mentioned above though. I had a problem with engine billowing out smoke after having my drive shaft replaced. Took it back and told them I thought they had put oil all over the exhaust system. Denied vigourously, but mysteriously disappeared after they had it for half a day. Shame my battery cover mysteriously broke on it's own after they had it too (also vigourously denied). But I digress....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts