Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's been a bit of a day so far... Was heading to Cornwall this morning and only managed to get a few miles before a very strong smell and quite a lot of smoke started coming from the offside wheel arch area but definitely starting from the engine bay.

I pulled into the services and called the AA. The patrol seemed fairly stumped and mooted that it could be a fuel leak (no visible evidence) or an alternator issue. He spotted some brown dust on the alternator and suggested it could be seizing intermittently. No issues at all with anything electrical, A/C is working fine and no electrical gremlins.

The garage I usually take it to were fairly stumped as well. Needless to say the trip has been cancelled and I thought I would try and use some of the expertise on here as somebody might have had a similar issue. Seems to only do it at speed and becomes noticeable when stopped.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
The belts are on that side so chances are its either a siezed aux belt pulley, failed crank pulley or more worryingly the water pump has siezed and the timing belt is smoking, not uncommon and will take the timing belt off, when was the timing belt last changed and was the water pump changed with it?
I wouldnt risk starting it untill you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belts are on that side so chances are its either a siezed aux belt pulley, failed crank pulley or more worryingly the water pump has siezed and the timing belt is smoking, not uncommon and will take the timing belt off, when was the timing belt last changed and was the water pump changed with it?
I wouldnt risk starting it untill you know.
Thanks for your reply. Would all of those things cause it to run rougher than usual? The odd thing is it's runs and drives very well so it's a little confusing. I've just dug out the paperwork and cambelt and water pump were done at 53k in 2013, the car is now on 92k. I was under the impression the interval was 60k. I'm planning on taking it in to get looked over on Tuesday but wanted to be ahead of the game if possible. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
No Not really, it will run fine.
Before you start it again Its really worth taking the top cam belt cover off, the black one, its only about 8 ribe or 40torx headed bolts and you can then see the timing belt, if the waterpump has seized, its the smaller smooth pulley slightly below and between the 2 toothed cam and fuel pump pulleys you should see signs of the belt rubbing, bits of rubber etc, if you do then dont start it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Strong smell of what? I used to have a Jag S type diesel and on cold mornings the preheating system would give exactly the symptoms you describe - white smoke out of the (n/s) wheelarch and a smell of diesel.

If your car has such a system maybe the temp sensor or control system is faulty?

Good luck, Richard

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
There is no aux heater on the 159,not U.K. spec ones anyway.

The belt has done nearly 40k so is due a change,I wouldn’t go anymore than that especially as water pumps are known to fail on these engines.

As said take top cover off and have a look for signs of seized water pump. Surprised the AA man didn’t have a quick look in to check

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Not really, it will run fine.
Before you start it again Its really worth taking the top cam belt cover off, the black one, its only about 8 ribe or 40torx headed bolts and you can then see the timing belt, if the waterpump has seized, its the smaller smooth pulley slightly below and between the 2 toothed cam and fuel pump pulleys you should see signs of the belt rubbing, bits of rubber etc, if you do then dont start it.
Thanks all for your replies.

I have taken the cover off and had a look, the belt doesn't look overly worn or cracked to me and there are no signs of leaking around the water pump from what I can see. I have attached some pictures for the keener eyed than me.

There doesn't appear to be any rubbing either.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Have you started the engine since?
I would start it up with cover off and have a good look make sure all the rollers etc rotate in timing area and the aux drive belt area to see if anything is amiss.
Also with age of belt I would get the kit replaced ASAP once you have got to bottom of the smell/smoke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts