Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing happened. I was checking the oil-level and noticed that she would like a little bit. I removed the oilcap and i found some white/gray'ish sticky stuff :confused: . Does someone have any idea? I´m driving a 1996 1.8 8V sports with 75000kms on it. I just have replaced the oilcap with a new one because the old one was damaged and had cracks in it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
water in your oil

could be the head gaskets gone

well thats one explanation

san

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It`s quite common to get a bit of white/grey sticky stuff on your oil cap................it`s normally caused by emulsifaction of the oil due to condensation from engines designed to run at high temperatures

Just clean it off and keep an eye on it ,it`ll probably do the same again in a few weeks :rolleyes: :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have wiped it of for about two/three weeks ago, and it returned again. Could it be harmfull for the engine? I don´t think a headgasket is gone because i did not noticed anything strange while driving and the coolant level is the same as it was before.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Should`nt cause any har to the engine .....................

Suggest you change the oil and keep an eye on it ;)

Alot of modern cars have this inside the oil caps and they all run ok Vauxhall`s especially its caused by the higher engine temperatures needed to get the catalitic convertor`s to work properly and this make condensation inside the rocker box top if your worried take the rocker box top off and clean that out as well ;) :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Speedy,

If it is condensation, wouldn't it be gone by the temperature ? Wouldn't the water come to vapour ? Rocker come to high temp, I think... Tell me if I'm completly wrong, as it is mostly possible...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Val said:
Speedy,

If it is condensation, wouldn't it be gone by the temperature ? Wouldn't the water come to vapour ? Rocker come to high temp, I think... Tell me if I'm completly wrong, as it is mostly possible...
This is true but the condensation forms as the engine cools down and contaminates the oil which then emulsifies and collects on the cap and inside the rocker cover and once its emulsified it does`nt get turned back to vapour

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Short trips at low temperatures. The water might warm up but I bet your oil temperature doesn't get over 70 much. That condensation in the engine reacts with the oil, turns to gunge and floats to the top of the engine, where it clings to the only rough surface out of the oil pathway - the filler cap.

If it goes away in the summer, then you're okay.

Wipe it off all the same though.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as Ralf says, short journeys will cause this. I don;t think you have anything to worry about. Clean it off and take the car for a good run so it gets nice and hot. Check the oil cap when you get home and the engine is still hot, if it's returned you have a problem, but I bet it's clean :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This gunky stuff is fairly normal and is mostly seen during the winter when the weather is cold. Look how much condensation you get on the inside of your windows - no reason why the engine should be any different.

I used to get it in my Sprint during the winter and never had any problems with the engine.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I normally use the car to get to work, distance is about 10kms. It has been some time ago when the oil got to superb driving temp. In about two weeks i have some time to take her for a long drive, i must go to the other side of Holland and that will be a distance of about 200kms :) , and i hope the sticky stuff will disappear, if not i will do an oilchange and get a new filter. Thanks for the advice and will let you know about the result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts