Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 159 from Veloces is making me very happy indeed. It's a Jan 2008 2.4 lusso. I'm still working my way through the noises. You know....is it supposed to sound like that..etc etc.

Anyway, exactly at 62mph, a faint whistle starts from what sounds like the top of the drivers door and then gets louder. Enough to be rather irritating. I've had a look at the seals and all seems fine, the window looks like it's shutting fully at the top, but it can be difficult to tell can't it.

Are they prone to this sort of thing and anyone got any suggestions on what I can check / replace?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah Western sorted this for me too, wing mirror seemed to be main culprit, the deadening didnt work for me though so got a new wing mirror under warranty. Also get dealer to put the silicon lube or whatever it is round the drivers door seal to loosen that up a bit and make sure it's sealing right.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers chaps...I shall dig around some more.:thumbs:

It doesn't sound like it's from the mirror area to be honest, more like the top of the door.....near my ear....in an irritating way!

My instinct would be that it a loose or misaligned seal but I will look at the things mentioned in that quoted thread.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I had a play around with door alignment in the summer and got that whistling sound when the driver door was slightly off and not squishing the seal correctly.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have the same issue, and it is the door not sealing 100% at the top but mine only does it 100+ Mph so not too much of an issue for me. But if you fix it, can you post details of how please

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's the mad thing though I agree it doesnt sound like the mirror atall, I thought mine was door/window, right at my ear
Same with a clunk I was getting, right at my right ear I thought it was in the B pillar, turns out that was solved by spraying silicon grease on the seal.

Same with what I thought was windscreen creak, turned out to be in the wheel arch!
You just don't know with the 159, it tricks you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a chance yesterday to do a bit more digging, whilst zooming up the M11 (at legal speeds, natch).

If i grip the top of the door by the B pillar and pull the door / window frame tighter, the noise goes away!

Seems that the seal isn't quite compressing enough there. Not had a chance yet to look at it in more detail, but I will.

It was my first motorway run since getting it, don't they go well! Looking forward to the drive to Barcelona come the summer!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
From the sound of it you need to adjust the door catch on the B-pillar very slightly.
Very straightforward but dont loosen all the bolts keep one slightly tight or the catch will slip and you will have days of fun finding the best position.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now why didn't I think of that!

I'll give it a go. I think it only needs to close a couple of mm tighter in. Will there be sufficient 'slack' in the fixings to allow that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts