Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had this weird noise before?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_E_4nkqUfocNHJhVy1HdXdJM1U

only happens on full boost and heavy acceleration up between 3.5k-4.5k rpm. can run it in full boost without it whistling/screeching all day under gentle/progressive throttle input

ive had a lot of noises to deal with before i noticed this one, mainly the woosh of a boost leak before i blanked off exhaust and intake manifold for EGR delete.

fitting of EGR delete kit may have even brought this on.

edit: cant re-create it with no load on the engine, so makes it all the more difficult to source. i have MES so can provide sensor readings if needed.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im almost certain its airflow related, like a rattling gasket, under full boost and heavy load but, i agree with you, to me it doesnt sound like a turbo failure where vanes are hitting casings.

its not the best video, with both front windows down... best way i can describe it is like wind noise from a roof rack at high speed, but in the engine.

video was taken in 3rd, foot all the way down

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
If so it is not to complicated to trace. you need a second person to press gas while the first one put ones head under the bonnet.
You can also put a brick onto gas pedal, but it is not the best idea since gas to be variable.
My view it is mechanical sound as I can get from video. Swirl flaps are still in ???...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If so it is not to complicated to trace. you need a second person to press gas while the first one put ones head under the bonnet.
You can also put a brick onto gas pedal, but it is not the best idea since gas to be variable.
My view it is mechanical sound as I can get from video. Swirl flaps are still in ???...
i have a receipt from 2010 stating that swirl flaps are locked open.

as said i cant re-create it with no load on the engine. only happens when driving at full throttle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway eventual air leak turbo related depends no drive my view.
Drive shafts, main pulley, just a guess.
it's difficult to create high boost when stationary. might have to make a testing kit.

also doesn't sound mechanical to me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so ive had a couple of days of being able to do some higher speed testing of this. (run over to Silverstone for the WEC and back, on Sunday) and some hooning around the city today.

definately seems to be boost related, starts when turbo is spooled up from about 2000rpm upwards. still only with high throttle input.

will visually check any jubilee clips i can see from the top and/or underneath as ive had the undertray removed (before it fell off) because of Coventrys horrific roads.

still very difficult to pinpoint location to either side of engine.

TL : DR:- Shameless bump to the top again ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
so ive had a couple of days of being able to do some higher speed testing of this. (run over to Silverstone for the WEC and back, on Sunday) and some hooning around the city today.

definately seems to be boost related, starts when turbo is spooled up from about 2000rpm upwards. still only with high throttle input.

will visually check any jubilee clips i can see from the top and/or underneath as ive had the undertray removed (before it fell off) because of Coventrys horrific roads.

still very difficult to pinpoint location to either side of engine.

TL : DR:- Shameless bump to the top again ;)
Did you ever find the reason for this? I have the exact same sound :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts