Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !!!!
Recently, after giving my car a bit of high speed stick, there is a kinda drumming whining sound audible when I come to a stop. I'll be siiting stationary at a junction and can here it. It eventually goes away.....what could it be ???
Seems to be coming from the back of the car, but hard to tell.

There is also a smell of petrol from the back of my car, can't find a leak and the tank is plastic, so won't have corroded.

Also..... at the back of the car, if I listen from outside, there is a kinda Psssst sound a bit like little bursts from an aerosol, but not as loud, can't here it in the car. This sound seems to be coming from the right more than the left.

Are all these things related ???

BTW, how do I remove the fuel pump ???
I thought there was an access panel in the boot floor, but I can't see one. Only thing is the spare wheel bracket which has one nut in the middle, but the actual bracket doesn't look as though it will move easily.

My car is a 1994 skinny 1.8litre 8valve.

Grateful for advice....

Marlon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Marlon,

Sounds like a fuel tank venting problem. The farting noises (OK, drumming/whining) is probably pressure equalising (through a split pipe?) and the smell of petrol would be from the same source - it should be a sealed system. When you drive fast you use more fuel faster so fuel tank pressure changes more quickly as well, but when you slow down things will start to 'settle' if you have a leak somewhere.

The 'pssssttt' could be pressure leaking past the filler cap if it's worse on the right hand side.

Fuel pump access panel is under the sound-proofing in front of the spare wheel well and just to the right of centre. Held on with 4 screws.

Ian

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ian, that all makes sense !!!
Another question now though......how do I go about checking the venting system of my tank. When I release the filler cap, I get the whoosh I should get, so no probs there I don't think.

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
When you check the top of the fuel tank through the boot, check the in/out petrol pipes dont have a split where they go into the top of the tank. One of mine developed a split which only leaked under pressure (ie when running). Alfa have changed the design of these slightly now - maybe they found a common problem? Anyway, its easy enough to check - take of the cover plate in the boot, run the engine, wiggle the pipes and if it stinks of petrol, one may be leaking.
BTW they don`t cost too much to replace and aren't hard to fit as I recall.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris, I see you have a 94 car aswell. You could be right about it being a common problem. I'll have a look shortly and let you know.
Thanks to both you guys, everything you've said ties in with the symptoms I get.

Thanks again,

Marlon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine had a similar problem, but it was a split O ring seal where the fuel pipe pushed into the pump.

Also, the float had come undone, and was sat loosely in the top of the tank. I found out when I filled it up for the first time and petrol gushed over the top of the tank.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem thanks to you guys.
The L-bend plastic doofer which goes into the tank is split. It is the white one, the red one is OK.
I pulled this bit out of the tank and petrol pished out under pressure. I loosened the fuel cap to release pressure but it didn't solve it. Is this the fuel return ???
How do I stop the fuel coming out forever (or will it stop once the return side from the engine is empty) so I can change the broken bit ????

Oh yeah, can anyone give a part number for this bit.....can't find it on the CD.

Car: 1.8litre 8 valve Silverstone - 1994
Chassis: 00107110

Cheers

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

it seems you can only buy the part complete with the fuel pipe.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JB, that's what it looked like to me.

**** !!!
Anyone got a spare one they wanna sell (from pipes they've replaced) ???
The fuel pipes on my car actually look new(ish).

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tjust use a lyer of gasket sealer suitable for contact with petrol, then cover it with insulating tape till you get it fixed.

might help for now.

j

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers J, used some araldite stuff. Seems to have worked for now.
I'll just wait till I move house and nip over the road to your car at 2 in the morning wink
They'll be the same part, surely.....

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Exactly what the problem was on mine - I`m almost happy for you (sorry). It was the number 1 pipe on mine that went and it was easy enough to fit, although be careful with the fuel filter, it is easily punctured with a rough spannering (OK so I did that). I hope it isnt the number 4 pipe for you, thats a bit more of a pain but ok if you`ve got ramps for your car. Note that araldite doesn`t work for long! Pipes were under £20 in case you haven`t got them yet.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Chris. It's the number 1 pipe, but that looks a pain to change unless the car is off the deck. The pipe, is too high up in the underside for me to get my hands in. Looks like another trip to the garage for a piddley wee job :(

Marlon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts