Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently ive been getting a whining noise when the cars up to temp, @ first i thought it was a belt but as ive just had my timing and aux belt changed as of yesterday but its still there. Ive read on here about the steering fliud and reservior changeout but theres that many conflicting views on red or green, change reservior etc etc my heads melting. Im not getting any juddering thru the steering or any change in pitch of noise when on full lock thats why i had put it down to a belt. My cars an 06 1.9 jtdm so i doubt it has a revised reservior but im unsure, i do know its the red fluid in it @ the monent. Am i better to change the reservior now or just do the fluid and see how it goes. Both of which i will be doing myself so any pointers welcome.
cheers in advance D

Edit just noticed this - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/316530-power-steering-whine-where-to-get-new-fluid.html its worth a try

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
changing the fluid alone won't make any difference - the noise is caused by air getting into the system when the non-return valve in the reservoir comes loose. if you're changing the reservoir, you may as well go for the GI/R fluid as well but plenty of people have said that the choice of fluid isn't particularly important

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
changing the fluid alone won't make any difference - the noise is caused by air getting into the system when the non-return valve in the reservoir comes loose. if you're changing the reservoir, you may as well go for the GI/R fluid as well but plenty of people have said that the choice of fluid isn't particularly important
New reservoir ordered in for monday i'l hopefully get it changed out during nxt week along with the newer green fluid

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The choice of fluid is actually important as the correct fluid for this rack is the GI/R fluid. On the older 159 cars Alfa Romeo simply put the wrong fluid in the reservoir.

This has been confirmed to me 'unofficially' by my local Alfa Romeo dealer. That's 'unoffical', because 'officially' Alfa Romeo will never admit to the problem. In the meantime, the dealer does recommend changing the fluid and also the superceded reservoir to any customers that visit with the older reservoir/red fluid.

Yet another 'groaning/whining' thread. The cold weather isn't helping..............

In the meantime, perhaps the mods can consider making this topic a 'sticky'. The situation is ridiculous, and members need all the help on this problem. And you'd save on bandwidth by reducing the number of threads. Come on guys, be useful for once, and take the initiative.

·
Registered
133 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload

This is a video taken today and you can hear my problem. It's scratching sound. It comes and goes. I hear it good from around 3 minutes. In this video i drive in 3 third gear all the time during recording. I am not sure it related to this thread but anyway ! What do you think ?

This has nothing to do with this thread. Just found out i have a drivetrain problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts