Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I've read about steering pump whining, about fluids and all, but non of the topics gives answer to my worries.

I had very slight steering wheel juddering on low revs from the moment I bought the car. I said to my self, what the hell, i will drive it until it worsens and it was not an issue for quite a while. however, few of this recent days weather got really cold here in NL. yesterday and again today i had very audible whine from what i think is steering pump.

if the car is stationary and i try to turn the steering wheel, whine gets much louder. it also increases in pitch but looses volume as i increase revs of the engine. at about 2k whine is no more audible. kinda feels that it is a bit harder to turn steering wheel, but i am not sure exactly.
also, when car gets warmed up, whine disappears completely and does not return until next morning cold start.
checked the fluid level - it is ok, no bubbling. no alien particles present in it as much as i can see.

my question is - is this dangerous? is it the pump or something else? what happens if the pump fails completely? i kinda think that when this cold siberian wave stops and temps rise above zero, i will have no more whining.

what would you guys do if in my place?

·
Vendor
45,782 Posts
Change to G1R before you need a pump or a rack.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then there is no other choice but to call the garage for reservation. shall do it first thing tomorrow.

thanks everyone for the feedback!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Do it yourself?

Big syringe and 2 litres of fluid, empty the reservoir, refill, start the car, turn wheel from lock to lock, stop engine and repeat till it's all green and diluted out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cj romeo, that does not sound so difficult. i thought that fluid must be taken out and system drained, then filled with new fluid and vented if there is any air in the system.

your advice is a bit ... odd. won't there be any problem if fluids get mixed? they surely will if i empty only the container...? i understand i have to repeat the process until there is low percentage of red fluid remaining. how low is good? until it looks good or what?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yes, it circulates quickly so 2 litres is enough to completely dilute it out.

Turning the wheel lock to lock vents it.

Just empty, fill, run, turn the wheel a few times, switch off and repeat.

Empty it into a clear container, you will be surprised how dirty it is.

I have done a few, it only holds about a litre, so the 2 litres is enough to get it clean and green, if you are worried, use 3 litres!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you! will do it first thing when i source one syringe.

of course, i should not wait to long.

will report back when it is done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had a problem with my power steering in the past couple of days. The steering was whining all the time and became worse when turning the steering wheel. The non return valve in the reservoir was found to have broken and it was air being drawn into the system that seemed to be causing the whine.

Got a new reservoir from Mangoletsi and replenished the fluid and all is nice and quiet.

So on that note it may be worth while checking the condition of the reservoir while it is empty.

When I shook mine I could hear the valve rattling around inside!

Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is an excellent suggestion. but, my whine stops when car is heated up. i guess that steering fluid absorbs some heat and then becomes less viscous. just a wild guess, but, plan to change the fluid still has a go and then it does not cost anything to check this filter thingy.

if i could only find some syringe or similar apparatus somewhere, that is my biggest issue at the moment.

·
Registered
460 Posts
it is an excellent suggestion. but, my whine stops when car is heated up. i guess that steering fluid absorbs some heat and then becomes less viscous. just a wild guess, but, plan to change the fluid still has a go and then it does not cost anything to check this filter thingy.

if i could only find some syringe or similar apparatus somewhere, that is my biggest issue at the moment.
Turkey baster.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
599 Posts
MKUZIR,

Best place to find a BIG syringe is at your local vets. (Animal veterinary surgery).

I am a Golf Professional and i used to use the syringes to remove and save old golf grips. Should only cost a few pence, shillings, euro, shekels......

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Here's the thing - label in bonnet specifies GI, handbook says GI/E; so where does the GI/R specification come from? Tried searching the related threads but the recommendation appears to be word of mouth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
on my car, bonnet label is G1/R, in the manual is G1/E. Official alfa dealer says G1/E had always been filled in this kind of cars.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yes, it's a bit random isn't it.

However if you have any steering issue especially at low temperatures, G1R is thinner and usually sorts it out, there is a technical bulletin on it, but I haven't seen it, it wasn't a recall, just advice on using G1R in cars with PAS noise if no other fault was found.

I find it silences the system straight away and stops the aux drive belt slipping in most cases, though sometimes the non return valve in the reservoir is faulty too.

....I should add that the MiTo under bonnet label tells you to use G1E as well......even though the MiTo doesn't have hydraulic power steering!

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
on my car, bonnet label is G1/R, in the manual is G1/E. Official alfa dealer says G1/E had always been filled in this kind of cars.
Early manuals had GI/E, latter manuals had the correct GI/R.
As CJ said, the under bonnet sticker always had the correct GI/R.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts