Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And no it is not the missus! I have a high pitched whine noise that increases with revs. I have read the various threads on here regarding noisy idlers etc but I cannot hear the whine in the engine bay. Recent Cambelt change and new auxiliary belt and tensioner fitted. Now I know the noise exists it is really annoying!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Alternator possibly ?

Could prove this by removing the Aux Belt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sound does not appear clutch related. It is there in neutral and although does alter when travelling and clutch depressed it seems to correspond with revs. It is there when radio turned off so pretty sure not radio interference. Water pump checked on cambelt change and no play or noise at all. I will try auxiliary belt trick when I get a spare hour!! Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've had this same whine for a while. Sounds almost like a supercharger, it gets louder as the revs increase. If you find out what it is let me know!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Turn your ingnotion on to the middle position and then stick your head in the boot and then in the engine bay. From there you can probably make a judgment call on what to check/look for where. I do know of one friend who had something similar and it was interference of some sort due to a poorly isolated radio head unit connection. The problem is we can all keep guessing forever but until you go through the methodical process of elimination there is no way of working what your problem is. Good luck

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nor mine. No noise at all when ignition key half way.
But if it happens when engine is running, ignition key half way does not rule out radio interference... i.e. the interference could be caused by the engine running...

Are you SURE its not in the engine bay??

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
You can still get ground interference though the speakers even with the radio off, just a bad earth so just because the radio is off doesn't mean you can rule it out.

Otherwise it's like turtle says it's got to be in the engine compartment and your not listening hard enough :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The turtle and NineOne Six may well be right. Had a good listen in the engine bay and nothing there. Had a listen again tonight and the sound was at the front when stereo off and louder from the back when stereo on ( 3 amplifiers in boot! - previous owner) so I apologise for dismissing the interference suggestion. The bad earth sounds interesting as well. Does this mean a bad earth for stereo or the car? Mark at West Sussex Alfa suggested the problems I have been getting with hesitation and the red temperature light coming on could well be down to a bad earth.

How would I go about fitting interference suppressors and a good earth please?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts