Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I wonder if you can help me?
Just recently when I select second gear I get this whine from the engine. When I accelerate it goes away, when I decelarate it comes back.
I think it's gear box and I'm slightly worried.
It's a 156 2.5L V6, 1998 S, 59000 miles.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
worn bearing on that gear m8, dont worry change the oil in the box, it wont break anytime soon.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Strip the box, and examine all components, if you feel enterprising enough. I used to love overhauling gearboxes/transmissions in my previous life? Great sense of achievement, quietening those transmission howls and whines.:):

·
Registered
361 Posts
stop it Zulu, you will have the poor guy with his is box in bits and gears and springs rolling all over this driveway, oh and it will result in tears :) probably his :cheese:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well I wouldn't do it now myself! Best bet is a replacement box from, where ever?:): Turned off from overhauling transmissions, when the needle rollers in a GM box disintegrated, knackering the layshaft in the process!:(: Replacement bits were prohibitively expensive, but got a good replacement from Jacks Hill breakers, for a fraction of the new parts price.:):

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
thats strange, as i get a wine in 4th gear when i accelerate, i even quite like the sound :cool: bearing prehaps??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts