Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a clonking sound from under the car whenever I step on the brakes with the car moving at all.... if the car's stationary and I step on the brake pedal there's no noise at all- which is a bit of a bugger when I'm trying to locate the source of the sound.

Also, there's an ALARMING amount of brake fade when I hit the brakes hard. Pads aren't hot, hoses are new. Any ideas?

Cheers

Amir "can't stop" Isa

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Slowhand

I have a similar clunking noise on mine, not always when I brake (no brake fade though) and when I set off.

Checked the anti-roll bar bush going into the wishbone and saw a bit of wear,

Worth checking I suppose!!

BTW Thanks for the Sigs

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rollbar, eh??

I won't know until I hang my head outside and under the car while it's moving along a road.

If you don't hear from me after this you'lll know what's happened.

Ouch

Amir "suicidal" Isa

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL

You could always get a friend (better still enemy) to volunteer!!

see you soon

Lespix

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you need to strip the brakes and see if there is any wear in the components. Does it do the noise when you brake in reverse?

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy lads.....

No I haven't had enough to drink recently to give it a try but wrinx has it... it DOES make the same noise when I reverse and step on the brakes.

Ominous, is it?

Cheers

Amir

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, sounds like wear in the sliding pins or caliper bolts....may even be the pads are slighty too small and move up and down. Had the same on an old car of mine, soon as they got a bit of brake dust around the pads to fill the gap it stopped.

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooer.... doesn't sound on awful lot of fun.... but I've got TONS of brake dust on the rear brakes and it's still clicking away.

I think I'll just strip em down and see what's up.

Cheers lads

Amir

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar problem on my last car, witha strange noise whenever I hit the brakes while moving. I rang the mechanic and described it, and they said before I brought it in to tighten the wheel nuts. I did, and the noise went away...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Erm... I'm pretty sure It's not loose wheelnuts. I think the most likely thing is the worn sliding thingies wrinx was on about.

Ouch

More dosh...... just before I sell the bloody thing.

Geez

Amir "skint" Isa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts