Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, going to try and replace the bulb in my headlights and hope that's the only problem - It's just the main beam xenon that needs sorting.. I think they are xenon rather than halogen.. they flick up once turned on. Whats the difference?

Also, I'm confused by the ones I'm seeing online, anyone got a link to the one I need by any chance? - finally, is it possible to pick them up from a physical place tomorrow (halfords?) as have easy access to garage tomorrow for once.. and would be a good chance to try it

S

·
0 Posts
Main beams are halogen, dipped will the xenon HIDs if they self level and kind of flash bright then dim then bright.

The mains are H1s

My 156 has D2S his bulbs but can't find a listing for 147 hids

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, great.. thanks for clearing that up -

Just looking at HID Xenon Gas Discharge replacement bulbs in D2S fitting. Replacement lamps for OEM HID systems.

There's so many...Ideally I just want to get 1.. and hope it matches the current bulb color/brightness. I guess the one in there is OEM, do I need 6000k one or somthing?

Also, quite a few come in pairs for about 35 - 50 quid. Then there is an Osram nightbreaker for like 70 for what just looks like one single bulb.. is there that much of a difference in performance? Looks like i'm ordering online anyway, and fitting next weekend.. all these bulbs constantly going is such a ball ache. Going to go and replace brake light now.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, just ordered two of the philips 4200k ones which seem to be the original ones.. and got two as I read the colour would be different on the older one. £60 delivered from hids4u.co.uk seemed OK too for the proper Philips .. now fingers crossed it's not the ballast unit. =]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, to me the main beam is the one you use for regular driving... (which is the one that's gone) . Full beam is... the really bright one, and that works ok. Have I ordered the right one?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Ah, I see where I was getting confused. Never heard the dipped beam referred to as the main beam. In which case, as you were!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my total lack of knowledge means i'm unorthodox at the best of times. I'd say this was a result for me :p Cheers lads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts