Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's company car roulette time again in the Ghosty household and we've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 cars, there are no Alfa's and the choice is from Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Ford, Vauxhall, Lexus and Mercedes.

Living rurally in an area that doesn't get gritted on a hill that kills normal cars when it's snowy and icey we wanted AWD.

So which would you choose and why?

1. Audi A5 Black 3.0 TDi Quattro Auto
2. Range Rover Evoque SD4 Auto (with Tech and Style packs)

Personally I'm conflicted, I'd actually quite like both.

Which would you choose and why?

Sean

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Audi if it's for Mr Ghosty
RR if it's for Mrs Ghosty (the only RR a man can drive are the proper ones!!!)

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I prefer older Audis, the ones without the big Auto Union homage snout and day running lights, but I'd go for the Audi.

I can't find Georg Kacher's LTT of one online. It was pale beige with two or three shades of brown for the leather interior, but I think he liked it a lot and mentioned how accomplished it was at getting to his house in the snow. This review has a few upsides:

Audi A5 | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

For a modern Audi, in the right shade and right setting it can look classy.

I don't get the Evoque. I don't get the compromises about all that mass all that way up for road use. It's like a 911, 'you wouldn't start from here'?

Looking at the Evo review of the Evoque I'd like to support Tata and British workers and parts suppliers, I suspect it'd be less prone to endangering my driving licence. I could argue it goes with a couple of my hobbies but the roof looks pretty high for putting unwieldy stuff up there.

The Evoque would look better with a roof full of hobby equipment and hopefully it would be more out of reach of those looking to pinch when left at services for pee breaks. I regularly use single track B lanes, perhaps the higher mounted driving position would help there? The Evoque would allow longer roof rails with more length to strap stuff down? I guess what I need to carry would fit on the A5 with roof bars, but they'd be closer together.

The newness, and demand for the Evoque doesn't appeal to me. I like to get to where I am going with the minimum of fuss or attention. Day running lights withstanding I think an A5 would get less attention.

I'd rather have a Juke than an Evoque. I don't fit the Evoque demographic. I quite like the Juke but supposedly I don't want a car to make a statement about me. Choosing between a TDi Quattro A5 and Juke would be more difficult, being torn between classy understatement and in your face warthog character of the Juke.

I'm not sure about the permapout stick insect celebrity input to the Evoque.

A used AWD X-Type Estate is more me and my hobbies.

A few weeks ago I was on a NS dual carriageway that was reduced down to 50 for road works. The workers may not have been there but the lack of an escape on the left and the route coned right before coming back to the left a few hundred yards down the road. I went through at 50 in the NS lane, all way through some new Freelander was within 1 to 2 car langths of the car in front of it in the outside lane. Aggressive tailgating in a 50MPH limited road works area. Yeah the height may have meant they could see over the car that was a few feet in front of their front bumper, but......

C*cks are just as likely to drive Vauxhalls, Land Rovers, Fords as they are BMWs or Audis. :(

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
I'd have the Audi as I'm not a fan of the Evoque. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the Audi either, so its only the winner by default. What about a diesel Scooby?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I'd have the Audi as I'm not a fan of the Evoque. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the Audi either, so its only the winner by default. What about a diesel Scooby?

:tut: diesel scooby ... next thing you'll be telling me is that Alfa do diesels too :eek:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Interesting bit on Simister's Evo review. The new front suspension meant they could have better handling, but the marketing people demanded it retain the same front heavy feeling so as not to alienate existing Audi buyers. I didn't know it was a Walter da Silva design. :eek:

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
Out of the two I would have the Audi, but its a bit like having to choose whether to have Syphillis or Gonorrhea.

How about a BMW and some winter tyres?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Out of the two I would have the Audi, but its a bit like having to choose whether to have Syphillis or Gonorrhea.

?

So which would you choose??? ;)

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
How about a BMW and some winter tyres?
I was thinking about BMW from the buying British angle, they do have three plants in the UK.

But the current styling is pretty grim to my eyes. The Elephant kidneys don't do it for me. It's almost like they have had Botox injected into the forehead and have a permanently surprised look or they've just been goosed from behind.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all you input so far...

Dan, Subarus aren't on the list.

I really like both cars, I've liked the A5 since it came out and loved the LRX concept when it was unveiled.

Ultimately it's wife's car though and she prefers sleek sports cars. We are going to get derivatives of both cars on weekend test drives so we can make our decision.

:)

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
If she prefers 'sleek sports cars' then surely the A5 is the winner? For me it would definitely be the A5, its lighter, its got a bigger engine, and its a 6 cylinder instead of a 4 cylinder so it'll sound loads better.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts