Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the wipers (again) :rolleyes:

I last replaced them in March this year - this time with Bosch one's. Prior to that with Halfords own make. TBH not a lot of difference to be had - despite the marketing blurb on the (more expensive) Bosch wipers.

They are smearing quite badly (despite a thorough clean of the windscreen) and the OS wiper is split, so.....

Who recommends what? Are these "Aero Flat" one's any better? Are cheap/throw away every 6 months, one's just as economically viable, do the intergrated spoilers make any difference? etc etc :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
i changed my wipers for a set of valeo flat blades as soon as i got my car (had them on my pervious car too) and i find them much better. they are a lot quieter and wipe far better.

D

·
0 Posts
I had Valeo flat blades and they juddered from the day I put them on and left behind lace curtains. The catches to fit them were fiddly and didn't ever sit snug.

Replaced them a couple of months later with Bosch Aerotwins and they work perfectly, snap-fittings held the blades a lot more secure, no judder to drive me insane and they actually clear the windscreen. They do start to leave streaks above 90mph though ... better than the Valeos that juddered and got worse the faster I drove until they hardly worked at all at motorway speeds.

I think people see varying results from lots of different wipers. Buzz gets on well with Valeo blades but my car doesn't like them, don't know if it's down to the differences in the 156 and 147 or the cleaning products we use on the windscreen, the condition of the arms and springs, amount of road grime ... whatever it is there are varying results from lots of different people if you do a search. You might have to try a few makes and models out to find some that work well on your car Pea Sea but on the whole Bosch Aerotwins are pretty well recommended.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I've got the Bosch Aerotwins on the 156 and they are great.

I've just ordered a pair of cheaper trupart flats from wiperblades for the Clio ... I'll let you know how they fair ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
+1 to that ... although I got mine off ebay for a couple of £ less than wiperblades.co.uk (and yes they are genuine)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the bosch aero twin cheap copys on ebay are what i got, and i am happy with them, biggest difference is at motorway speeds in the rain they work miles better than std. ones

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bosch Aero twins it is then :)

Thanks chaps :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,298 Posts

I've just ordered a pair of cheaper trupart flats from wiperblades for the Clio ... I'll let you know how they fair ...
Had the Truparts fitted to the Clio for a couple of weeks and they are working fine, as good as the Bosch on the Alfa. But compared to the Bosch ones, they look cheap with a much more simple fitting block. The Bosch one flips over to cover the fitting: the Trupart one is visible and shows the holes for the two additional pin-based fittings. Not sure I'd be happy with these on the Alfa for visual looks but they do the job and still look better than the original frame-type wipers.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Had the Truparts fitted to the Clio for a couple of weeks and they are working fine, as good as the Bosch on the Alfa. But compared to the Bosch ones, they look cheap with a much more simple fitting block. The Bosch one flips over to cover the fitting: the Trupart one is visible and shows the holes for the two additional pin-based fittings. Not sure I'd be happy with these on the Alfa for visual looks but they do the job and still look better than the original frame-type wipers.
I have those fitted on the GT and they were OK for a couple of months .... they've now start to judder :(

TBH, I've had no luck with any sets of wipers on the GT and I would take any advise from ANY GT OWNER as to what make and model to try. My GT is a 54Reg with the hook style wiper arms. It also has the rainsensor (which can be a bit temperamental). Size wise blades are 18 and 22 inches to make sure it wipes over the rainsensor area.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have the Trupart ones on my 147 - fitted since March and they are pretty damn poor. I agree, the fitting looks shocking, but overall probably still look better than the conventional type wiper. I find they are particularly useless at high speeds; they just skip across the screen and judder all over the place. They also smear and squeak rally annoyingly at low speeds. Bosh Aerotwins for me next time (they werent available for the 147 I don't think when I got these)

·
Registered
106 Posts
For GT, I still have the originals, but judder and smear is a common issue. However a clean of the screen with white spirit once in a while always makes them operate perfectly, so sometimes its the screen that is the issue. Forget screen/glass cleaner, white spirit lifts everything as well as the important greasy **** that causes most of the problems.

C

·
Registered
834 Posts
For GT, I still have the originals, but judder and smear is a common issue. However a clean of the screen with white spirit once in a while always makes them operate perfectly, so sometimes its the screen that is the issue. Forget screen/glass cleaner, white spirit lifts everything as well as the important greasy **** that causes most of the problems.

C
Good tip, might give that one a try :thumbs:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I fitted some cheap Aldi blades :rolleyes:

They lasted as long as it took me to get some Bosch blades. Those now judder as usual :( Not tried the others.

Someone posted that they cured the judder with a replacement wiper motor as it is play in the spindle bearing of that which actually cause the problem. Could be a costly cure.

·
Registered
665 Posts
white spirit will do for me for the time being as I don't feel like spending money on wiper motor unless an absolute necessity....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts