Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi alfisti people
My GTV's shiny new engine is going in as we speak. Unfortunately my front two tires need replacing. The garage recommended Pirelli P6000 (205/50/16) at £120 plus vat each. Seemed a bit steep to me. I ran a previous car on Toyo Proxes, are they a reasonable choice for my GTV? Can anyone recommend a decent tire?
(I do 20k miles a year commuting down fast country roads)

·
Registered
471 Posts
£120 + VAT for P6000's is riotously expensive. You can do a lot better - try some of the Internet sites - I used Black Circles and they were good.

P6000's though? Common wisdom on this website is that they are somewhat lacking for performance driving but last pretty well.

There are lots of tyre posts on this forum Re. the GTV, Goodyear Eagle F1's seem to get the highest number of positive ratings. You should be able to get them for much less than the price quoted for the P6000's if you shop around.

Toyos are cheaper but also highly respected but may not last.

Depends on your driving style - if you drive anywhere near the limit down those country roads then go for something better than those P6000s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers! I'll see if I can get hold of the Eagle F1's then.

Will there be a problem having those on the front and Dunlop SP 01's on the back? Just the tread pattern is so different.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cheers! I'll see if I can get hold of the Eagle F1's then.

Will there be a problem having those on the front and Dunlop SP 01's on the back? Just the tread pattern is so different.

Oh er. Thats a trickier one. One for the tyre gurus when they come oline and pick up this thread.I will have a go though:

My understanding is that generally speaking as long as you have the same tyres on the same axle you should not have a problem. However I think the F1's are directional which means that if the Dunlops are not then I think that you will not be able to rotate the tyres. May not be a problem if you just replace them when each set wear out.

Another problem may be if you have really new sticky tyres one end of the car, and less sticky ones the other end, it could significantly change the handling charactersitics of the car. Not knowing the ratings of the Dunlops or their condition makes it difficult to judge.

Note though that perhaps counter intuitively, it is better to put the grippiest tyres on the back, since loss of the back end is the worst case handling scenarios so put the new sticky tyres there.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
You'll only really get a serious problem when you start mixing tyre constructions on the same axle dude (Radial & crossplys) !! ;)

Saying that different remaining tread depths will obviously mean different grip levels to !! :)

Note though that perhaps counter intuitively, it is better to put the grippiest tyres on the back, since loss of the back end is the worst case handling scenarios so put the new sticky tyres there.
Sorry can't agree with that... if you lose the backend you can counter steer... lose the front and you're normally pretty well fecked !! :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I am yes but I'm not coming from where you think I am !! ;)

Understeer is far more serious than oversteer IMO !! :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i think:
understeer = straight ahead into the ditch
oversteer = backwards into the ditch

:rolleyes: :D

having said that you`d have to work really hard to get a fwd GTV to oversteer wouldnt you ??

On topic tho : i do think Pzero`s are a very good tyre, leagues ahead of 6000`s

·
Registered
471 Posts
No, No, No - as I said "counter intuitively". I thought the same as you but was put in my place on this forum recently. When I looked into it further, I had to agree with the forum consescus that says put the good ones on the back.

I will see if I can locate the thread.

I agree with the comment on P Zero's though - Rosso's rock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll check the damage on the Pzeros (might try someone other than the alfa dealer, as long as they'll let me drive off with illegal tyres)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-Rs are £54 each inc VAT and delivered from www.mytyres.co.uk - excellent value and an excellent tyre!

The F1s are £58 each from the same place. Budget anywhere between £5 and £15 each to get them fitted.

P6000 at £120 each is utter madness!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
No, No, No - as I said "counter intuitively". I thought the same as you but was put in my place on this forum recently. When I looked into it further, I had to agree with the forum consescus that says put the good ones on the back.
WTF do this lot know !!?? :p

When I first started driving I was friendly with a very good local mechanic - I needed to be with the piles o junk I used to drive :D - and he always, always stated "Put your best tyres on the front boy!" for exactly the reasons i mentioned above !! ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
WTF do this lot know !!?? :p

When I first started driving I was friendly with a very good local mechanic - I needed to be with the piles o junk I used to drive :D - and he always, always stated "Put your best tyres on the front boy!" for exactly the reasons i mentioned above !! ;)
Well you can argue with Michelin if you like, but I decided to swallow my pride and accept that things have moved on...

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_cons_bib_pqr_neuf.jsp

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
What do the French know ?? :p

They got used to putting their best tyres on the back wheels during the war as they were always in reverse !! :p :D

:lol:

INCOMING !! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to get black circles to stick some Pzero's on. That does mean I'm driving tomorrow in snow with bald tires. Errr. The 147 courtesy car was fun today, except the traction control is well over officious, had to turn it off most of the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-Rs are £54 each inc VAT and delivered from www.mytyres.co.uk - excellent value and an excellent tyre!

The F1s are £58 each from the same place. Budget anywhere between £5 and £15 each to get them fitted.

P6000 at £120 each is utter madness!
How did you come by those prices Bez? .... proxes quoted at £67 ea when i last looked .... :cry: or have i missed something?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I had P6000 fitted on my 16" rims and found the back end a bit twichey when pushed kinda wallowed around a bit. Then i put a set of 17" tele's on with P Nero's and now it feels like the body is gonna get ripped off the chassis before the tyres let go.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had P6000 fitted on my 16" rims and found the back end a bit twichey when pushed kinda wallowed around a bit. Then i put a set of 17" tele's on with P Nero's and now it feels like the body is gonna get ripped off the chassis before the tyres let go.

Great visual image...!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts