Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get 2 new tyres before my euro trip next month!!

2 Questions, firstly I presume the 2 new ones would be better up front? since thats where the power goes down.

Secondly which of these 3 would you choose?

Nexen N6000 - £61.45

Falken FK-452 - £64.97

Toyo Proxes T1-R - £67.45

Those prices are (each tyre) fully fitted from blackcircles!

Tyres are 205/55/16 incase anyone has any other recomendations?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i'd go with a 4th

Maxxis - MAZ4's

if not - T1 -R

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Try this place to see if you can get a better deal.

Buy cheap tyres online from ValueTyres.co.uk

Spend £75 - £149.99 and receive £7 discount = enter code PE07

Spend £150 - £249.99 and receive £10 discount = enter code PE10

Spend £250 or over and receive £15 discount = enter code PE15

Todd.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
2 Questions, firstly I presume the 2 new ones would be better up front? since thats where the power goes down.
This is what most people would think but the official recommendation from every tyre manufacturer is that the new ones should go to the rear. This is because you have control over the front wheels (steer, brake, power) but you don't have control over the rears. This means that if you loose grip at front you can still do something to gain control but if you loose grip at rear its more dangerous if you are not a really skilled experienced drivers who doesnt panic (release throttle) in this situation. So the safe side for regular driver is to have more grip at rear.
So when you buy 2 new tyres, put them to the rear and move the rears to the front. And next time the same unless you buy all 4 new of course.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
This is what most people would think but the official recommendation from every tyre manufacturer is that the new ones should go to the rear. This is because you have control over the front wheels (steer, brake, power) but you don't have control over the rears. This means that if you loose grip at front you can still do something to gain control but if you loose grip at rear its more dangerous if you are not a really skilled experienced drivers who doesnt panic (release throttle) in this situation. So the safe side for regular driver is to have more grip at rear.
So when you buy 2 new tyres, put them to the rear and move the rears to the front. And next time the same unless you buy all 4 new of course.
that's ok but will you not then be wearing your tyres down quicker on the front as a rough guide you get through 2 sets of front tyres to 1 set of rear tyres on average, if you put part worn ones on the front then surely you are decreasing the life span of the tyre, for the average normal driver you should never find yourself in a situation where you would lose grip/control

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I have to get 2 new tyres before my euro trip next month!!

Secondly which of these 3 would you choose?

Nexen N6000 - £61.45

Falken FK-452 - £64.97

Toyo Proxes T1-R - £67.45

Those prices are (each tyre) fully fitted from blackcircles!

Tyres are 205/55/16 incase anyone has any other recomendations?
not sure about the other two but u have the Toyo's all round on my 156 and they're fantastic tyres not a problem with them at all, good grip dry and wet and very quiet too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have Nexens on the front, they look pretty nice but dont have too much confidence in them. Have Yokohama A-Drive's on the rear and will be looking to put them on the front too when the Nexens are done.

I'll be able get a better idea then how good/bad they are then!!

·
Registered
38,903 Posts
I would go with the Falkens. If not those then the Toyo's.

I have used several sets of the Falkens on different cars and they are a great tyre. The fact that they are quite cheap is a bonus.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I'm on my second set of the Toyos. Really good, quiet and grippy tyres - especially in the wet.

I always stick the new ones on the front - I know all about the manufacturer's recommendations but i actually (personally - not saying it's the same for everyone) find that understeer at speed is worse than oversteer. I can recover a bit of sideways tendency quite easily but in Derbyshire there's often not much time to stop it hitting a wall or going off a drop if the front loses grip. I'm not gonna complain about the back end getting lairy and, anyway, it doesn't (booooo!)

There are inherent understeer characteristics on the fairly stable, longish wheelbase 156 - in my experience so far anyway. I can only really get the back end to break free on snow or ice and even then it takes a bit of handbrake action!

This is with the heavy diesel engine up front. It certainly makes the front end "push" into corners. For that reason i'd stick a new pair on the front first if it was me....

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
falkens all the way:thumbs:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had toyo tires, they don't last long, they are a really soft compound, they do grip the road well though and good in the wet :) I what type of driver you are like!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Toyo's! Grip is excellent and aesthetically pleasing, if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had toyo tires, they don't last long, they are a really soft compound, they do grip the road well though and good in the wet :) I what type of driver you are like!
Toyo's have really good wet and dry grip but are a soft compound so will not last as long as some others. The Falkens are a hard compound, they have very good dry grip - the wet grip is also good and should last a good while.

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
1991 Spider Veloce S4, 2003 156 GTA, Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari
433 Posts
Guys, I have just got a set of Kenda, (who I had never heard of but checked their website out and they make motorbike/cycle tyres), for my GT. 18" tyres x 4 for £300.

I haven't driven the car yet as I'm away, but my Dad tells me it drives holding the road really well, with a good tread pattern.

The garage told my Dad that they are quite a hard compound and will wear much better than the likes of Nexen, Falken etc and certainly much better than Pirellis etc.

I had to do alot of ringing around, but got them from Just Tyres.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
kenda run under cooper tyres:thumbs:

·
433 Posts
Oh ok...sorry but I don't even know Cooper!?? :eek: Are they ok??

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Oh ok...sorry but I don't even know Cooper!?? :eek: Are they ok??
not bad, they sponsor the british F3 championship and british GT:thumbs: heard of avon tyres? there the same too:thumbs:

·
433 Posts
Ok cool. My Dad said they look good, which is the main thing!! :cheese:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts