Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm currently looking for a decent set of tyres for my GT. No rubbish. I put cheap ones on the front in the summer just to get me out of a bind one weekend and they are absolute dirt so they have to go.

Can anyone recommend a really good tyre that will offer good grip and handling? Someone at work has a GT and I see they have Bridgestone Turanzas on their one. Mine previously had Kumho Ecsta Sports all round and they seemed okay but the rear tyres are approaching the limit now and the front ones are, as I say, just not up to the job on a car like the GT.

Any advice/experience of what to go for/avoid?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David ... all I was finding when I went looking were older threads from the UK. I'll have a good read of this now - *cough* - I mean, after work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Falken FK452s.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Have Toyo proxies on mine and have been really happy with them and they last really well. Heck of a lot quieter than the Falken F1's that I had on them before.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is some interesting stuff in the thread David gave me the link to.

I had Toyo T1R Proxes on my first Alfa 156 after two years of Semperits (facepalm) and Michelins. The Proxes transformed the car. My dad had Pirellis P6000s on his 156 and those seemed good. I currently have Michelins on the Sportwagon and they are fine - very quiet. (The tyre place fitted the Pirellis for the Alfa to my old Astra and the Michelins for the Opel to the Alfa. Never get tyres fitted to two cars at same place in one day).

I want something that will offer surefooted handling, braking and which will hopefully be a lot quieter than what's on it now.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
P6000s are the worst tyres ever!

It seems that everyone has a different tyre recommendation. You were happy with Toyos before so I suggest you go with them again.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you want me to take you for a spin with Avon ZZ3s up front and Dunlops on the rear just give me a shout. They are mid range tyre and provide decent grip in the dry and reasonably good grip in the wet. Breakaway in the wet is fairly predictable also. They are about the 30 yoyos

If I were to recommend a tyre for the sheer grip factor it would be the Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas. But at 150 yoyos a corner and only getting 13k kilometres out of them I had to change.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll go have a look at those now... Thanks all. Keep em coming if you have a suggestion. I saw a Phase II 156 1.8 today wearing a brand new set of Maxxis tyres with a thread pattern that looked the business. But I've NEVER heard of those before...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just came back from fitting Toyo's. I will give You some report tommorow bacause my girlfriend didn't let me drive home:tut:
Will take her for spin tommorow, and see what kind of tyres are they:p

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
I have Pirelli P0 Nero Assymetrico, and quite happy with them...
Pirelli P Zeros do seem to get a good rating & are often supplied on new Alfas, especially on the bigger option alloys as a more performance based choice.
I have noticed though that many people on AO rate them very poorly in snow compared to other summer tyres due to their thread design which seems to just clog with snow, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have winter tyres for the Focus in case of snow, but thx for the warning.. However doing a 4-wheel slide in a huge car around a roudabout in an empty industrial estate is great fun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
After few miles with Toyo's I'm very happy. Alot quiter then bridges and dunlops. They are a bit more comfortable too, road handling is very good on dry and wet. We see how they will be wearing. 4 tyres cost me 402,50e and 40e for fitting and balancing, not bad:thumbs:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After few miles with Toyo's I'm very happy. Alot quiter then bridges and dunlops. They are a bit more comfortable too, road handling is very good on dry and wet. We see how they will be wearing. 4 tyres cost me 402,50e and 40e for fitting and balancing, not bad:thumbs:
Well that's significantly less than some of the other brands that I've enquired about! I didn't recall the Toyos being cheap when I last bought them. Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts