Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #41
The playbook is an awful tablet, and you'll regret not getting an iPad.

If you really not interested in actual functionality and usability, wait of the Kindle Fire.

As I said it my earlier post so far it does all I want. I can't see where an IPad would be any better. I am interested in functionality & usability & I'm still happy with it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Registered
Has anything new happened in Tablet land since this thread back in March/April?

MrsDibnah uses her iPad 24x7 just about for browsing and the kids use it for toddler games etc so I don't use it much, but when I do it is a lot less hassle for browsing than booting up the laptop or going and sitting in the study and being antisocial.

Having said that - I would like to try something different than an iPad just to see if they are any good.

Also - does anyone know if the Goodlink software for synching your Outlook email works on Android or is it IOS only?

C

Never thought I'd have much call for a tablet but then Mrs C bought me an iPad for my birthday and I'm hooked. :)

Registered
Another alternative to the playbook is the nexus 7. Very slick and set at a decent price. The nexus 10 is coming out soon also so another competitor for the ipads, which i will be buying as I cant justify the price for an ipad.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #45
Looks like the next few months could see a lot of new choices. Google & Amazon have announced their new Tablets, Window have theirs coming along in Oct/Nov.

Windows 8 will be released in Oct & that will lead to the introduction of a lot of Laptop/Tablet Hybrids. BBC Click showed a few of them this morning. Most a basically laptops with swivel screens that will allow them to be used a tablets. Samsung looks to have the most interesting with the screen & keyboard being detachable.

:thinking:
Somewhere in there must be the device that finally knocks the IPad off its' perch.

:coffee:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #47
Never really updated on what happenned with the Blackberry. It broke!!

After a couple of months it wouldn't switch itself off properly & I had to wait for the battery to run down & then recharge before it could be used again. PCWorld couldn't find what was causing the problem so offered to replace it or give me a refund. After giving it some thought I decided to get a refund & wait to see what happenned in the tablet market.

After a lot of research over the last couple of months & all the new releases over the last couple of weeks I'm ready to go for Tablet No 2. I've come down to 3 choices.

1. Google Nexus. Relatively cheap & will obviously run all the Android apps. Getting good reviews

2. Kindle HD. Again relatively cheap & getting good reviews. The only issue is that it doesn't run a proper version of Android.

3. Microsoft Surface. This is the big money option. It's getting mixed reviews & some think it's a case of style over substance. (the Alfa Romeo of tablets?)

Anybody else thinking of getting any of these or any thoughts on them?

Registered
I'm sitting on the fence until I get my hands on a iPad mini and Kindle Fire HD.

I had a iPad 2 through work for a year it so and lived it, my number one use was for surfing the web followed by email, reading books and playing games.

Battery life was fantastic and the whole thing was just so slick to use.

If the mini is as good as the iPad 2 and not too much of a compromise on size then that's the one ill end up going for.

Registered
The nexus 10 looks like a definate winner. Samsungs tablets are very impressive and have played with one for a while and was set on it till the rumours of a nexus 10 was on the horizon.
Nexus 4 by LG is also looking great for its low entry price. Double swoop of the Nexus 4 and 10 on the cards for my next upgrade.

D

I have been given a 64 gb ipad2 with both wireless and 3G, was never into Apple products till I got this, my laptops never on.

R

It's true that some of the Android tablets look great and they are getting better all the time in terms of specs but there is no escaping the fact that the Apple App Store is miles ahead of Google Market/Play.

All the processor, screen or gfx power doesn't matter a jot if the supporting ecosystem is compromised.

Registered
It's true that some of the Android tablets look great and they are getting better all the time in terms of specs but there is no escaping the fact that the Apple App Store is miles ahead of Google Market/Play.

All the processor, screen or gfx power doesn't matter a jot if the supporting ecosystem is compromised.
Not really true though is it?? ... The android app store has about 700k apps, roughly about the same as the apple store, in addition apps are generally duplicated on both stores.

R

Based on personal experience I have found the App Store consistently better than Android market and it's more an issue of quality over quantity.

Some of it is down to the fact that Apple have teams dedicated to mobile software optimised for their own hardware platform. As an example I never found anything for any of my Android tablets which compared to the following:

Pages

Numbers

Keynote

IPhoto

iMovie

Garage Band

Additionally having had subscriptions to various magazines in electronic format I found newsstand significantly less clunky to use than Zinio.

Then there are some big third party apps which are better optimised for iPad than Android. Again my personal experience only but in day to day use I found the following either smoother or more functional on iPad rather than Android:

Photoshop Touch

The Times

The FT

iPlayer

A large part of the problem is that the Android market is so fragmented so developers are not always writing for a uniform platform.

As I say just my opinion and point of view but having owned a Sony P, an Asus Transformer and an HTC flyer as well as several iPads I can at least say I've done some degree of research beyond the superficial numbers ;)

Registered
I bought an iPad because I wanted something that worked, that I didn't have to admin. Stuff the apps (though they are very good), I want something that works. In that respect, it has been a great success. Two years ago I switched it on, set up my mail and I've never had to configure/dick with/upgrade/fix/worry about ... anything.

Contrast with the wife's bloody Android phone which is a constant hassle of looking at forums to try and work out why the damn thing has decided to behave in an unpredictable fashion.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts