Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting myself a Tablet as I'm fedup lugging a laptop everywhere.

I'm currently leaning towards a Blackberry Playbook. The new version seems to do all I want, Web Browsing, Word Processing & E-Mail, plus to will interface with my phone. I'm not too bothered about Games & Music.

Anybody got one or any thoughts on others.

Thanks

Registered
Playbook will not be updated, as RIM have stopped all development of a new version and will probably only carry on support for the current version for another 12 months. iPad 2 will start to tumble in price as the new 3 is likely to be announced this week, I have a 3G version of this and use a PAYG 30day sim in it as and when I know I'm going to need it, 拢5 off of eBay for all you can eat data. I just find the lack of flash a bit annoying now and again but the amount of times I find I'm without isnt worth really mentioning. I don't game etc.
I would mention that I wouldn't want to be composing word documents for a long time on a tablet there just not comfortable to do so. Browsing and email is as far as mines stretched and the odd baby app for my 18month old son - he bloody loves it!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Playbook will not be updated, as RIM have stopped all development of a new version and will probably only carry on support for the current version for another 12 months. iPad 2 will start to tumble in price as the new 3 is likely to be announced this week, I have a 3G version of this and use a PAYG 30day sim in it as and when I know I'm going to need it, 拢5 off of eBay for all you can eat data. I just find the lack of flash a bit annoying now and again but the amount of times I find I'm without isnt worth really mentioning. I don't game etc.
I would mention that I wouldn't want to be composing word documents for a long time on a tablet there just not comfortable to do so. Browsing and email is as far as mines stretched and the odd baby app for my 18month old son - he bloody loves it!
RIM have just launched Playbook 2.0 which seems to be getting good reviews. The WP would just be for updating the odd document rather than creating new ones.

Registered
Blackberry have binned the play book and Adobe have binned mobile flash;)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
One of a number of reasons I don't get the whole Apple phenomenon. But I know I never will.
I don't have a problem with the Apple. If I thought it was better for what I wanted then I would buy it. At the moment I can't see the advantage.

Registered
Don't get me wrong the Playbook is very good, but the lack of 10inches and 3G put me off, as someones already said the Playbook has been canned by RIM and Adobe are following and binning the Mobile Flash. If I was looking to buy again id have a stab at one and pair it with my phone but Id also have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Moto Xoom too, id rather pick one of those up second hand than for the price of Playbook new.

Registered
Have been contemplating getting an iPad2 for a while now. Was planning on buying one now, since I'm in the US. Then they went and decided to announce the iPad 3, but it's due on Wednesday and I fly back on Thursday.
iPad 2 is down to $449 for the 16GB up to $650 for the 64GB (that's about 拢125 saving).

Sorely tempted to visit the local Apple stor on Wednesday night...

Registered
As an alternative I got the Asus Transformer Prime a month ago. Fabulous product. Becomes a really good netbook with the optional detachable keyboard.

Eee Pad | Transformer Prime

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
As an alternative I got the Asus Transformer Prime a month ago. Fabulous product. Becomes a really good netbook with the optional detachable keyboard.

Eee Pad | Transformer Prime
Thanks,

I did see this advertised but wasn't sure if it wasn't more gimmicky than practical. Also it's a bit more than I wanted to spend.

The thing with the Playbook is that even if it's discontinued in 12 months it would last me another 12 beyond that so I would feel I've got my moneys worth out of it. It will also be about the time I will be able to change my phone so if they have gone out of business I might be able to get a Tablet & phone together.

In 2 years there will be a lot of changes to the Tablet market & hopefully things will have stabalised a bit. At the moment everybody & their dog is producing one.

Who knows by then IPAD5 might be out. :lol:

Registered
I use a MacBook Pro for work, and a Blackberry Bold 9900. Both utterly brilliant bits of kit in many, many ways. I tried an iPad2 for a few weeks and just didn't get it at all.

If I am not using the MacBook, then i use the BB. So why do I need something in-between? Just don't get it. So it went to another member of staff who thought it was Christmas and birthday all rolled into one!

Its a great piece of kit, but not sure as to the purpose and functionality of it.

Registered
I use a MacBook Pro for work, and a Blackberry Bold 9900. Both utterly brilliant bits of kit in many, many ways. I tried an iPad2 for a few weeks and just didn't get it at all.

If I am not using the MacBook, then i use the BB. So why do I need something in-between? Just don't get it. So it went to another member of staff who thought it was Christmas and birthday all rolled into one!

Its a great piece of kit, but not sure as to the purpose and functionality of it.
I bought 20 ipad 2 for sales and senior managers, some embrace them some don't, its difficult to see where it would benefit you initially but once you start getting some apps on there and it becomes instant access to lineof business data and apps its almost like losing a leg when its not there any more.

Ipads are very versatile bits of kit.

G

Can't you get a Playbook for 12p now? I am a Blackberry fan as deal with them at work and own a Torch myself so I reckon the Playbook would suit me down to the ground but they have been a nightmare for RIM

Registered
Can't you get a Playbook for 12p now? I am a Blackberry fan as deal with them at work and own a Torch myself so I reckon the Playbook would suit me down to the ground but they have been a nightmare for RIM
I've had a bit of exposure to the playbook and personally i dont think its very good. I think part of the problem is that it has a crisis of identity, it doesnt know if its a toy or a business device.

The iPad doesn't have this its equally at home as a toy or a business device. Apple don't position the iPad as a toy or a business device, it's demographic independent which is one of the reasons why it is so successful (along with it being REALLY good).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts