Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is, in your opinion, likely to be the most desirable "classic" once they inevitably become sought after?

At the moment it seems the later phases are the most sought after, but will this change in 10+ years when there aren't too many left. The Cup aside do you think buyers will go for a particular phase or will it all be about condition?

Also is it possible for modern classics to be worth more than the new price as so many old classics are these days. I really can't see an old GTV being worth £20k plus...certainly not in the next 20 years, if ever.

P

·
0 Posts
Even though mine is a phase 1 I would agree. It's no wonder most P1 folk alter the dash, change the grille etc. etc.

I personally don't like the look of the phase 3.

But then how many phase 1s will be about in a few years time? I'd be interested to know now how many there are kicking about. I hardly ever see other phase 1 Spiders.

A lot of it will be down to condition.

But take a look at the series 1, 2 and 3 Spiders - they don't make a fortune either.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think all spiders will become collectable. Rag top sports cars always have & we are talking Alfa Romeo here !
Gtv' are only likely to become worth big money in 3.0 v6 guise, phase one 3.0 will have a bit of kudos because they will be so rare. However, rarity in its self does not equate to great value.
As with all cars, only truely immaculate cars will make top money

I also think you will have to wait at least another 15 years to see any great real term rise in values

The last E-type Jags could barely be given away in 1975 !

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Defintely a Phase 2 is the prefered model right now and assume it will easily become the classic in the future also.

If you kept a GTV of any phase in brilliant condition I doubt you will lose any money on it right now. Of course if it is kept in concourse condition in the next 20 years + time Im sure it will probably appreciate over time and hopefully better than the rate of inflation.

Some of the Alfas from the 1930s are worth a Million$ or more today. But those cars were expensive to start with pre war. They were very exclusive like Ferraris and Lambourghinis of their day

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Chances are I wont have mine long enough for it to appreciate in value but I think the P2 v6 spider/gtv will be most wanted. Phase 1 doesnt have some of the style elements of the P2 which people seem to want and the phase 3 isnt in true character of the 916 as it was restyled in quite a major way (which I dont like) and it has the 3.2v6 which seems to be less desirable than the 3.0v6. I think the smallest number made were V6 spiders. Maybe I am biased with a 3.0 V6 spider though...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Am I wrong here or are the major (visual) differences between P1 and P2 the Grille, the alloysand the lower body being painted black rather than the 'all the same body colour' Although mine is a P1 I am setting about upgrading these visual clues (only because I think it loos fab) Just bought a set of 'cookie cutter' wheels (£50 quid off ebay and unmarked!) The grille has been done and seeing as how some git has scraped the passenger side of the car in bloody Sainsburys I am going to get the paint done and go for the P2 look.
I might actually do the paint jonb myself and if so I'll do a 'How to' for it. Can't be bothered with the silver console thing though.
Cheers
PenR

D

·
0 Posts
If you are looking to pick up an Alfa Romeo GTV now for a few hundred quid and sell it in 10 years time for £10,000 then this might be slightly unachievable.

But as stated above I'd wager that a Phase 2 V6 will be your best bet. The Ph1's are great and can be made to look like Ph2's for hardly any cash and be picked up relatively cheaply anyway, from around £2000+ for a V6. If however you want a Twinny then go for it, they range from anywhere between £1000 - £2500 for Ph2's. The Ph1's are even cheaper.

Symonh2000 off the forum just sold his Fiat Coupe turbo and picked up I THINK a Ph2 GTV V6 for £2500, :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If you are looking to pick up an Alfa Romeo GTV now for a few hundred quid and sell it in 10 years time for £10,000 then this might be slightly unachievable.

But as stated above I'd wager that a Phase 2 V6 will be your best bet. The Ph1's are great and can be made to look like Ph2's for hardly any cash and be picked up relatively cheaply anyway, from around £2000+ for a V6. If however you want a Twinny then go for it, they range from anywhere between £1000 - £2500 for Ph2's. The Ph1's are even cheaper.

Symonh2000 off the forum just sold his Fiat Coupe turbo and picked up I THINK a Ph2 GTV V6 for £2500, :thumbs:
I heard that about Symonh I am very jealous !

I tried to buy a V6 instead of my TS but no one wants to sell their P2 V6 in Sydney there rarely seen on the market. And if they are for sale they go very quickly. But there are literally hundreds of P1s you can buy going very cheap.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The 3.0l V6 is an Alfa Designed and built engine where as the 3.2 is a Holden engine, tuned by Alfa, not the same and less desirable.

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
The 3.0l V6 is an Alfa Designed and built engine where as the 3.2 is a Holden engine, tuned by Alfa, not the same and less desirable.
The 3.2 In the GTV and spider is an Alfa engine, a long stroke version of the 3.0.

The later holden block units were fitted to the later 159, Brera and new spider.

D

·
0 Posts
What's the BRAKE of the Holden lump then? Isn't it about 240BHP? And is it the same engine used in the 3.2 V6 GT then? Because the new GM V6 3.2 lumps have 260BHP I think.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts