Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably psycological but my GTV seems to run best on jet 98 octane, better than shell 99 octane,(runs ok on 95 but for a few dollars more...) has anyone else noticed any difference?, as i said its probably imagined.

·
Registered
38,903 Posts
95 octane for me normally from Texaco.

The only difference I feel with super unleaded is in my wallet.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hee hee, yeah, like i said im probably imagining it, i think one of the car shows did a feature showing that an evo gained 10bhp? on super but the lower state of tune ur car the lower the benefit, and much as a GTV performs well for what it is it aint no evo :)

·
Registered
38,903 Posts
Most Evo's are meant to be run on super unleaded. Mine had a sticker on the dash saying to use it.

My Fiat coupe 20v Turbo also went better on super unleaded, but it was chipped.

I doubt super will make much difference on an Alfa, they don't run high compression ratios.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Normal unleaded for me from either BP or Shell. Having looked into it a bit, I'm not sure there are too many benefits from V Power etc.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I don't know, my Spider TS seems to like VPower, more responsive etc, no doubt due to the additives more than anything else.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
If I am filling up at home it gets Tesco 95RON.
Away from home it gets whatever is near when I need to fill up, also 95RON.

I did run Super Unleaded exclusively for several years and convinced myself it made a difference, but I'm now sure it didn't.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Mine drinks anything unleaded... The only thing I'm sure of, is that whatever it's filled up with, it doesn't stay full for long!:cheese:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most Evo's are meant to be run on super unleaded. Mine had a sticker on the dash saying to use it.

My Fiat coupe 20v Turbo also went better on super unleaded, but it was chipped.

I doubt super will make much difference on an Alfa, they don't run high compression ratios.
I get to drive a friends occasionally, truly amazing car (evo8) just asked him about sticker, his hasn't but has one in filler, it says "use min 98 RON" , to this day he doesn't know how mitsubishi knew his christian name!:)

D

·
0 Posts
i only ever use v power, i get better mpg but it is probaly outweighed by the cost.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I use Vpower in my GT and it does seem to make some difference but probably not enough to warrant the cost now that the price is on the up:(

·
Registered
490 Posts
1) V-Power 2) BP ulitimax 3) Esso Ultimate

Which is also the decreasing order of price so maybe my car has expensive tastes :)

K

·
0 Posts
Shell V Power all the way.

Used it in my 156 JTS and in my current Alfa.

Better responsiveness and power, especially down low. Miniscule gains in mileage.

My fuel of choice now for 8 years.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I use VPower every now and then and it seems to run smoother at low revs than standard 95 RON. I doubt there is much power increase though. I tend to avoid 95 RON fuel from supermarkets as I have heard to reduce price they tend to use fuel with less cleaning additives but its probably just as good as brands like BP and Shell for all I know. This could be a topic for debate in itself, I have heard mixed opinions on it over the years as apparently some supermarkets use exactly the same fuel as the main oil companies do.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts