Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Due to the planned road tax increase I think I’m going to change my car sometime soon. I have a 147 2.0 TS that I have owned since xmas, I love the car to bits but with ever increasing road tax cost and household bills something just has to give! :cry: The trouble is now I’ve had a taste of an Alfa, nothing else comes close, so I’m thinking of going for a face lift 156 diesel. There is a good choice available on autotrader, so the question is…….1.9 or 2.4? Is the 2.4 a bit thirsty? Will I find the 1.9 too sluggish? Is their much difference between the JTD and JTD-M?

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Tom

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Well you know, you can dodge the tax issue by buying a pre-2001 car and get the flat rate tax (£185 I think!) If you did that I'd say GTV2.0TS (gets about 30 mpg if driven hard) or GTV 3.0V6 if you can afford the petrol!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you know, you can dodge the tax issue by buying a pre-2001 car and get the flat rate tax (£185 I think!) If you did that I'd say GTV2.0TS (gets about 30 mpg if driven hard) or GTV 3.0V6 if you can afford the petrol!
Now thats a thought. How reliable are the old GTV's?

....On the downside, i don't think the wife will be happy putting the weekly shop on a roof rack :lol:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,660 Posts
id go for a GTV but im ever so slightly biased! electrically they are sound, they shouldnt rust and mine has been the most reliable car i have owned. im now selling it as im in the same boat as yourself but im going for another GTV. (from 2.0TS to 3.0 V6 though)

IMO you cant go wrong with a GTV, sexy looking car, good to drive and either engine makes a nice noise.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Don't sell it, drive to Mr Browns place and tell him what you think of his road tax.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The TS motor we had, was not as economical as that, if driven with gusto. Max we ever got, steady like, on longish runs was about 34 mpg,and the Sele's in City Mode are reputedly more economical than a manual at that. And yes we did use City Mode a lot of he time. Still a great little motor though.:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't sell it, drive to Mr Browns place and tell him what you think of his road tax.
:lol:

I'd like to do more than that, blummin' robbing bastardo! :mad:

Perhaps I should keep her then. It looks so lovely sat outside all nice and clean :D

Perhaps i could try ebaying me old TV Turin! :thumbs:

Anybody want any decorating done (my weekend job) ;) ?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Think about the cost to change. If you end up paying £1000 more, for the sake of saving £500 a year, then you'll only break even in 2 year's time. Assuming you don't have to spend money putting new tyres or a service or whatever, on the '56 to get it to the same condition as your 147.

Keep the beast.. sell the kids! :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I don't know what everyone's getting so excited about regarding the new VED regulations. It's only a few hundred quid extra, surely everyone can manage to swallow that to enjoy their Alfas?

And... as far as I know the retrospective VED regulations aren't even 100% coming into force, they're still being discussed and people consulted. The only reason we have known about them so long is the fact that it was leaked.

There's still a chance for us people, hold strong! :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Now thats a thought. How reliable are the old GTV's?

....On the downside, i don't think the wife will be happy putting the weekly shop on a roof rack :lol:

Put the wife on the roof rack and the shopping in the car ... simple :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must admit i've enjoyed watching your comments come in over the last day or so, its put a smile on my face. Basically i have two options;

1. Get an older GTV, put the wife on the roof rack & food in the boot.
2. Keep my much loved 147 and sell anything i can on ebay, or put in a few extra weekend decorating jobs when my tax is up for renewal!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
G

·
I drove both the 1.9 & 2.4 JTD engined 159's at Brands Hatch last week. The diesels are definately better than the petrols (2.2 & v6 with q4). Yes the 2.4 has more get up and go, but its more thirsty, tax is higher and if you are watching the pennys, then the 1.9 jtd is the engine I'd go for - I doubt that you'll notice much reduction in power over the 2.4, your wallet will definately know the difference, ts the best all round compromise engine....

G

·
The only real cost will be your life :eek: :eek: (I do hope not though ...)
We've all gotta go sometime :lol:

Seriously,even pootling around at 60mph on my bike is more fun than any car I've driven, at any speed.

Can't wait to get my test passed and get a big bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts