Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aargh :rant::rant::rant:
Just about every other day someone posts a "which oil?" thread.
How many times do we have to have the same question, and the same endless debate?
Why don't people just use the search function?

I get the impression that people think that because there is no clear cut answer in the exisiting threads, they might as well ask the same question again - and guess what,. there's still no clear cut answer!! :cry:

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
One other forum I visit has banned oil threads.

Instead everyone has been invited to view a post in the FAQ section.

Tyres are another favorite.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
2 snippets of advice for oil threaders.

1. RTFM.

2. Don't buy your oil from the 'home' aisle at Asda.

How hard can it be? Cheap oil is cheap oil.

·
Registered
854 Posts
..............I think the oil "fetish" comes from the fact that people want to do something positive to/for their car and the changing oil / filter is a relatively cheap and simple process to undertake at home. I agree to a point with the "you get what you pay for " sentiment though. Why not have a sticky with recommended oil spec for all the different Alfa engines ? :) , or is there already one in existence . Looks like a job for the oilman

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
I have often wondered about this, and I think that asking the question is another engagement opportunity with other forum members. It's really just another chance to chat, go off topic, share an oil-related disaster, alert the O/P to a garage not to use for the job, post a relevant YouTube video, tell a horror story, share a joke and so on, and possibly - just possibly - get a useful answer thrown in.

Anyone with half a brain can use the internet to find what oil their car should use. But that's not the sole reason that question is asked... ;-)

H

·
0 Posts
Scuddy - there's hundreds of oil threads - 'search' on AO is rarely used :(
True, but people on AO are pretty friendly about it generally.

I look at another forum for stuff about the NFL, and people there are pretty abusive. If somebody asks an innocent question that might just have been asked once, a thousand years ago, the poster gets all sorts of insults and slurs thrown at them for not using the (awful) search facility.

I prefer AO, and put up with some duplicate threads.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
Scuddy - there's hundreds of oil threads - 'search' on AO is rarely used :(
fair enough bud, but you're not obligated to answer the question if it concerns you that much (someone else will ;))

plus, the answers that are archived by the search function might not be totally up to date, if Alfa has decided that now cooking oil is better than Selenia, for example :)

·
0 Posts
Oy this aint pick on Jon's opinion of a rant thread rant thread :p :lol:

There are too many oil questions - fact

I rarely see you two contributing in the tech threads BTW ;) :p

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
ring a reputable dealer and find out, simple, or look in that thing called a manual:lol:

they have changed the spec for twinny oil now, because selenia 20k is being phased out:thumbs:

H

·
0 Posts
I was told from the independant when I bought my Alfa that they use Selenia, and Alfa dealers use Selenia, but to buy whichever brand I like, as long as it is the right viscosity.

As long as you keep it topped up, and change it regularly, then the brand isn't so important as the act itself.

See, a serious tech reply from HSTDriver, a first for everything :lol: (even if it is in the rant room)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was told from the independant when I bought my Alfa that they use Selenia, and Alfa dealers use Selenia, but to buy whichever brand I like, as long as it is the right viscosity.

As long as you keep it topped up, and change it regularly, then the brand isn't so important as the act itself.

See, a serious tech reply from HSTDriver, a first for everything :lol: (even if it is in the rant room)
Exactly, the brand is a matter of choice / budget, as long as the spec is the same as quoted in the manual. RTFM :cheese:

·
0 Posts

Gotta start somewhere HST :lol: :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts