Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which oil is best for me Alfa as it is low and lights are on. Actually I checked the oil level on dipstick and there isn't any in it? it's a 1993 - 2 litre 155 Q4

·
Registered
550 Posts
Take a look at the old threads, there is a lot about this item. ;)

And of course you need to have 4.4 lts. of oil in your motor. :eek:

Best of all 10/60 really sinthetics. :D

Cheers

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I have found that there can be noth on the dipstick but about 3/4 of a pint will have it showing full again, I never get a light though :confused:

good quality 10/40 is right for it ;)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
10/40 is correct never drive with oil light on , when you even see the light it means STOP or poss damage t your lovelly engine. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In order of preference (mine) Motul 300, Agip racing, selenia 10/60, Personally I think 10/40 isn't up to the high temps associated with the turbo, and never put Mobil 1 in, its far too thin at low temps and sinks back to the sump, so that when you start up there is none left around the head for the first couple of seconds.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Steve Webb said:
In order of preference (mine) Motul 300, Agip racing, selenia 10/60, Personally I think 10/40 isn't up to the high temps associated with the turbo, and never put Mobil 1 in, its far too thin at low temps and sinks back to the sump, so that when you start up there is none left around the head for the first couple of seconds.
Haven't all 10/40 oils got the same viscocity at low temps? So what you're saying is, use a 10/60 oil? :confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mobil 1 always used to be 0/40 so is thinner than 10/40 oil when cold. Mobil 1 racing is/was 5/50 I think so is slightly thicker when both cold and hot. And Mobil 1 motorsport is 15/50 so very thick when cold. But given the number of quality 10/60 oils about these days I would recommend using one of them.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bearing in mind that this thread is about oil for a Q4, and corner cutting with a Q4 usually ends up being expensive in the long run, I would never use a semi-synthetic oil. Also as I said, given that now there are more quality 10/60 oils about I'd use one of them to give you the added oil stability\viscosity when it is pumping round a very hot turbo.

You need to be careful when buying Motul 300, as there are a few different sorts, most for dedicated motorsport use. As such they don't have the additives that help keep the engine internals clean. The best place to find Motul 300 suitable for the road is at a motorbike dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I'm afraid that's just not true.

300V oils are suitable for road cars as well. I would probably stay clear of 0w-20 and 20w-60 but the others are just fine.

Cheers
Simon

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess we will just have to disagree on this one, and if anyone else wants to make up their own mind they can go to Motul then car / lubricants / 300V gives a full description of all the 300v oils.

The only 300v that mentions engine wear at startup and oil life is the 300v Factory line in the motorbike section

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MOTUL 300V COMPETITION. That's the way to go for modified Q4's.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
What does the book say?

At the moment I'd venture "any old oil is better than NO oil!".

Ralf S.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts