Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which oil to use in a '67 1600 GTV?

Anyone used Millers classic or HPX?

thanks

Jools

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Jools,

The original manual suggests the old SAE 20 W50 grade and specifies AGIP F.1 Woom SAE 20W/50 or Esso Uniflo or Shell Super Motor Oil 100.

As a newbie myself I can't say if these branded lines are still available but I'd guess any good quality 20W/50 would be OK.

I do remember reading somewhere that you should not use modern synthetics IIRC - but don't take that as gospel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Halfords do a "classic" 20w/50 which I've put in my Fiat 125. It seems ok and is green, like old Duckhams used to be. Yummy.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
It's Mound Dawg.....another renegade from the AROC forum!!.

Jools, I use Millers Classic Sport, semi synthetic in mine. It seems good stuff.
We had a tour around the Millers factory with the owners club a year or so back. the tech guy was quite adamant their 20w50 Classic Oil (A mineral oil) was perfect for the Alfa Nord units, he only recomended Classic Sport for hard track type use. Mind you I still bought classic sport, even though I didn't intend to track the car.....then!.

So to answer your question Yes Millers Classic is fine, and brewed in Yorkshire too:p

The semi synth in mine drips out very slowly through some of the seals, but I don't think it's a problem and it doesn't seem to burn much either. Some of the modern fully synthetics would probably leak through the seals much quicker.

Not sure about HPX though, whats that?.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts