Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chaps,

I've got a few posts on the actual model threads on here but hopefully everyone will see this post.

The dilemma is.......what to buy next when my current beautiful 156 Veloce SW needs replacing.

This is the choice:

Mito
GT (preowned)
156 GTA SW
500 Abarth
Another 156 SW

The only stipulation is that it must be up to doing 20,000 motorway miles a year in comfort and have something about it (so don't mention the 159)!

Oh, and it mustn't break the bank (so don't mention the Brera)!

The fuel consumption of the GTA is not an issue for me, I could cope with that!

Obviously the Mito would be the most expensive, then the 500, then the GT/GTA then cheapest of all the 156 SW!

I love them all but need to make the right choice for the motorway!

I'm thinking the Mito/500 may be too small for consistant motorway driving, the 156 GTA and standard 156 perhaps now getting on in age so could be less reliable........the GT looks like it's top of my 'heads' list at the moment although the 156 GTA is top of my 'hearts' list!

Any thought would be gratefully appreciated!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
^^^^

Check out your sig ... I think you've already made your mind up :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
Go for what your heart tells you and by the looks of your signature a 156 GTA is the one :lol:

From another point of view as a GT owner is if you want a reasonably priced car that gets s**t loads of attention then go for a GT. People look at them with love or even lust in their eyes

G

·
0 Posts
P.S The 500 is one cool looking car but I think you'd feel a bit ...erm ...feminine in it after a bit. The Grande Punto Abarth would be a better choice

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
P.S The 500 is one cool looking car but I think you'd feel a bit ...erm ...feminine in it after a bit. The Grande Punto Abarth would be a better choice
Graham,

Your car is the perfect colour combination and engine size for me.....if only I had sold the Exige.......why are you selling just out of interest?

EDIT: Just read your posts......what is so special about a V6 to you Graham?

And by the way, if I had the money and had decided on a GT, yours would be the one!
Hope there's one like that available if and when I plumb one!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and i could even throw a 147 GTA or a face lift GTV into the mix as well.........so much choice!!!!! :confused:

G

·
0 Posts
what is so special about a V6 to you Graham?
That sound!!!!

...and that fact that I'm a fully grown boy grown racer :lol:

Ideally I'd have the GT with a V6 as I think that would be pretty much motoring perfection..but to afford a V6 I need to buy something cheaper

P.S You are right about the facelift GTV. They are great looking cars

G

·
0 Posts
And by the way, if I had the money and had decided on a GT, yours would be the one!
Hope there's one like that available if and when I plumb one!
With the way the market is at the mo I wouldn't be surprised if it's still available then :lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
One life mate, if you can afford it go for it, you never know what might happen tomorrow, my uncle's just had half hjis lung taken away, just waiting for biopsy results now to see if he gets the all clear.

Lifes fragile so get the GTA :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Really a difficult choice. The 500 is the cheapest to run, the MiTo comes in second. The GT / 156 are more expensive to run as they are not new.

And the GTA is the most expensive one to run (by far!). Not only fuel but also insurance and maintaining costs. But when you can afford it, this one is the choice. In GTA package or not, the Busso 3.2 V6 is the thing you really want. The looks, the power, the driveability are aspects that put a smile on your face every day. No matter if it is in a 147 GTA, 156 GTA, GT, GTV or 166 package. The entertainment that engine provides is priceless.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hmm from your list if fuel costs aren't an issue then the GT V6 would be the car on my driveway :cool:

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Oil burning GT :thumbs: (remapped of course)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having mulled over the question for a while now it looks like a preowned GT is the way forward and here are the reasons why:

MiTo: going to be too expensive for the spec I would want and still not convinced by its shape!

500 Abarth: think it may be a bit small for all of those motorway miles, possibly a bit 'girlie', and it doesn't have that all important Alfa badge and grille!

156 GTA: getting on in age a bit so less reliable and guzzles the fuel!

GT: gorgeous looking, good substantial size, could get a very good one for £8k!

Anyone agree or disagree?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts