Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Which new tyres for my GT (215/45/17 W,Y,Z)

• Falken ZE 512

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pirelli P7000

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Pirelli Pzero Nero (Extra Load)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yokohama S306 XL

• Toyo Proxes T1-S

• Dunlop SP9000

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Bridgestone RE050 EZ

• Continental SPORT-CONTACT

• Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2

• Other - please specify

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been recommended the following tyres via Blackcircles.com for my GT,

What would you choose?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
On 16" or 17" :confused:

Goodyear Eagle GSD2's should have been replaced with GSD3's...

Either those or Pirelli Pzero Neros.

;)

T

·
0 Posts
Toyo's are a super tyre ;) i tried the falkens on my cavalier and they were great in the dry and the wet, but abysmal in damp conditions and that only had 80 odd bhp. just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-R have replaced the T1-S.

Just come off a trackday at Snetterton and was well pleased with them, good grip and very progressive, and a fair bit cheaper than PZero Neros which would be next up.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 16" or 17" :confused:

Goodyear Eagle GSD2's should have been replaced with GSD3's...

Either those or Pirelli Pzero Neros.

;)
17", thanks for the info the GSD3's are really pricey @ £155.15 each :eek:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
17", thanks for the info the GSD3's are really pricey @ £155.15 each :eek:
I got a pair of GSD3's (215/45/17) for £75 each delivered from mytyres.co.uk

prior to that i was on yokohama s306's which have been sensationally hard wearing (good for 20,000 miles on the fronts and i don't drive like a librarian). if you want long lasting tyres then i would throughly recommend them. the goodyears feel slightly grippier though

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am going for some Goodyear GSD3's to replace the Dunlop's on at the moment.

Not been too impressed with the Dunlops but loved the Goodyears I had on the 156 so that is why I am going for them.

I think the £155 you have been quoted for the GSD3's is very high though...I am getting them for £70 a corner plus fitting for the standard Alfa 17's.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Acapulco & Jason - mytyres.co.uk, are nearly half the price of blackcircles :D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good service too; easy fuss-free ordering & quick delivery:cool: The GSD3's are going for £79.50 on there at the moment
Looks an easy process, do they inform the fitter that the tyres are on the way or do I have to?

my only concern with the GDS3's is that I have had g'year eagles for the last two times and they appear to wear quickly? whats your thoughts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Looks an easy process, do they inform the fitter that the tyres are on the way or do I have to?

my only concern with the GDS3's is that I have had g'year eagles for the last two times and they appear to wear quickly? whats your thoughts
as far as delivery is concerned i'm not sure - i had mine delivered to my house but i would've thought you'll need to let the fitter know they're coming

in terms of wear i've only put about 1000 miles on them so can't really comment, i think jason may be able to shed some light on this for you:) if you want hard wearing then the yokohamas will be hard to beat. i had them from new on all 4 corners and the fronts only needed replacing at 20k, the rears are still on and still have unbelievable tread depth :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
In my opinion the dunlops are a load of crap which alfa recomend ive got proxies all round and they give good grip imo. Some people who i know who has Focus RS's Have P1's (i think there called) dunno make but ill vheck nd get bk to you, either way they swear by them!!!

B

·
0 Posts
I really rated the Toyo's when I had a set on my Integrale...

Stuck like nothing else (ably helped by the car, admittedly ;)) and seemed OK in the wet, too.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Pirelli P-Zero Nero's or the P7000 if you can get them the right size.

If you want a tyre that will last a reasonable period of time whilst still being a bit 'sporty' you might want to consider P7's

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Npwt wrong with Dunlop SP's on a well sorted chasis :) P Zero's are excellent too :cool:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have accelerated my purchase due to a slow puncture (nail) in the passenger rear tyre, also the wear rate on the fronts is pretty poor - if mr plod collared me i feel serious telling off would be in order !!

So checking some manufacturers - Toyo recommend a fitter "Just Tyres" about 6 miles from home in Nuneation - called up and have 4 Toyo Proxies T1-R's being fitted Thursday £90 each all in.

Review on Blackcircles is good......

Toyo Proxes T1-R

The Toyo Proxes T1-R is leading the development race with its nearest competitors including Goodyear with their GSD3 Eagle F1 and Avon with their ZZ3. More recently Toyo have worked hard to develop their product to attain top billing in the hearts and minds of the ‘boy racer’ community. The consequence of the Toyo Proxes T1-R promotion push is the prices have increased. We have always backed and supported the Toyo Proxes and that hasn’t changed of late. We do however feel that as a favourite with the Subaru and TVR drivers in particular the Toyo Proxes T1-R could do with a further promotional push into the main market and up against Goodyear and even Michelin with their Pilot Sport 2 tyre. If you are looking for a lower priced alternative we recommend the GT Champiro and the Nexen which both offer more than their price tag represents.

Life: 4 out of 5

Handling: 4.5 out of 5

Noise: 4 out of 5

lets see how they go :D :D

M

·
0 Posts
Pirelli P7000:)

I've got Pirelli's on my 147, even they are only P6000 they are good tyres:)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
in terms of wear i've only put about 1000 miles on them so can't really comment, i think jason may be able to shed some light on this for you:)
I have to admit that the Goodyears are not the best wearing tyres I have ever had...but I have always been willing to cope with the trade off when it comes to a great all round tyre that may not last quite as long as a mediocre tyre.

·
Administrator
46,090 Posts
Is it too late to haggle? I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them cheaper than that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts