Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I was in Currys or Dixons or whatever they are called and was almost buying one of those. HP DM1. The specs seemed fine and the listing on the card said it came with a DVD rewriter so would have been ideal to put office on for the times my wife wants to work downstairs rather than up in the spare room on the main laptop.
Good price as well.

Get my card out and the guy brings the box to the counter. I ask about the DVD writer, "Is it included in the box?"

He sheepishly says , "they've been onto head offfice loads to get them to send a new card as it's wrong."

"So do I get an external DVD?"

"No" is his answer

Bye bye was my response. Muppet.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I rarely go to any of the PCW stores unless they have a very good offer on as that is all-too often the problem... They've also been the cause of 2 wasted trips to a further away store (and I did phone on the way the second time) when ordering stuff via their website where it said "plenty in stock" to find there was none in stock...

There are usually (although not always) better deals to be had at Scan (more for components), laptopsdirect (got my Ferrari from them 5+ years ago and it still does the job), ebuyer (I had less success with their quality of service but I know others who swear by them). In the cases of Scan and (I think) LaptopsDirect, they have a counter service should you need face to face, and Scan are excellent when things need repairing (especially when they are so close to me). I'm not sure about ebuyer. The one on-line retailer I won't deal with anymore is Dabs. Had a couple of bad run-ins with their non-existent "we're only on-line" customer service despite having used them in the past... Prices are decent enough but any problems are not dealt with sufficiently well... I suspect it started changing around the time the founder sold it to BT.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Noticed alot of stores doing that over the past few years

They advertise a very cheap deal to entice customers and then when they turn up the only 10 they ever had in stock have gone and the customer buys the next more expensive model with surprisingly 2000 in stock.

:mad:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been wanting to get a netbook for a while but the money seems to go on other bills.
From what i've researched samsung have great battery life and keyboards. Microsoft make it a requirement that all netbooks ship with 1GB RAM so would get one of them then hit crucial.com and up it to 2GB.

not sure if samsung have started making them with the dual core atoms yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been wanting to get a netbook for a while but the money seems to go on other bills.
From what i've researched samsung have great battery life and keyboards. Microsoft make it a requirement that all netbooks ship with 1GB RAM so would get one of them then hit crucial.com and up it to 2GB.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They have netbooks with the older dual-core processors currently on the market. A version of the N102 using one of the new Cedar Trail processors was announced last November, but isn't yet available; they are also reported as saying that they are abandoning the netbook market from the first quarter of 2012. I don't think anybody's got a Cedar Trail netbook actually on the market yet - I've seen HP machines listed for Feb 17th shipment.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After a lot of deliberation I've finally bought a netbook. The more I researched the less impressed I was with Intel Atom processors, so I started looking for alternatives. It soon became apparent that by spending more than my target (thankfully it was just a target, not a limit!) I could get much more for my money.

Looking at non-Atom netbooks the most common processors seemed to be AMD - no problem, as I've had good service from a couple of AMD-equipped machines - & all(?) had 11.6" displays - again, no problem as they still meet my size criteria.

The choice finally came down to HP DM1 or Lenovo S-205. Reading reviews didn't help too much . . . how can the same touchpad or keyboard be good for one reviewer & bad for another?

The choice was really made on detail; it finally came down to the Lenovo on the basis of xD card reader, less pre-installed bloatware & slightly less bulk.On the latter point, less bulk could, of course, mean less solid construction, but the Lenovo feels pretty robust.

So, for £320 , i.e. another £70-ish, compared with what I was originally looking at I've got an 11.6", higher-resolution display, AMD E-450 processor (1.66 GHz dual-core), 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB), 500GB hard drive & a slightly bigger keyboard. The only trade-off appears to be battery life; I can live with that. Oddly, Lenovo's default power management setting limits battery charge to 50% in the interests of longer battery life.

So far I'm quite impressed - it doesn't really seem all that slow, certainly fast enough for what I'm using it for. It's recorded a Windows Experience Index score of 3.9, the lowest subscore, not surprisingly, being Processor calculations per second.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Glad you found something that meets your needs :thumbs:

Out of interest and only if you're up for the tinkering. As it will be doing nothing more than web browsing, sending and receiving email etc and with a healthy 500Gb HDD, I would be interested to know how fast any flavour of Linux runs, compared to Windows.

I'm assuming there is a hidden partition on the machine, that you can restore, should things go **** up?

If you download EASEUS home edition (Free), you can partition the hard drive ready for a straightforward install and create a dual boot Windows/Linux machine.

Only if you fancy tinkering of course ;)

Either way, you've got a something that meets your needs now and can also be upgraded in the near future, if need be :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Tinkering comes later!

One thing I didn't mention was that another advantage of spending more is that I'm running Windows 7 64-bit - gotta be better than Windows 7 Starter!
The fact it's the 64 Bit version is better!

I put that version on a system I built for my son and I'm actually tempted to buy another copy and rebuild my own system.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The fact it's the 64 Bit version is better!
The irony is that I've got a netbook running Windows 7 64-bit while the "main" computer is still running Vista 32-bit! I'm quite happy with Vista & can't go 64-bit as I can't get drivers for the scanner . . . I keep hoping the Mrs will break it!

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
The irony is that I've got a netbook running Windows 7 64-bit while the "main" computer is still running Vista 32-bit! I'm quite happy with Vista & can't go 64-bit as I can't get drivers for the scanner . . . I keep hoping the Mrs will break it!
Just drop something on the glass, by accident :D

Always happy to help :thumbs: :lol:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Essentially the same as the DM1 on the hardware level, just harder to upgrade, also think the 205 needs slimmer than standard 2.5 drive if its like the x121 I bought, go steady with the Lenovo, particularly opening the laptop via the screen, I broke my LCD in a couple of hours, decided build quality wasn't good enough for some one as clumsy as me and sent it back for a refund, Lenovo paid me back no issues, aside from chasing them up, lots of calls, took 2 months.

If you have w7 32bit, you can probablky use the same key to install 64 bit, I did this on my DM1.

Touchpad issues on Lenovo are software related, download the latest, it should help, didn't help that the touch pad was angled, x121 had touchpoint though that was awesome.

The little CPU has vrtualization support, I just run virtualbox on mine for Ubuntu and Linux stuff I need to do, runs plenty fast enough, the e450 takes it in its stride, obviously would run better native.

HP DM1 has better screen and sound, I'd recommend it, as I did earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ok, i'm quite put off buy the atom processors i've seen an acer Aspire One 753 11.6 inch HD Netbook (Intel Celeron U3600 - 1.2 dual core 2mb L3, 4GB, 500GB, Wifi-N, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 H/P 64Bit for £340.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
ok, i'm quite put off buy the atom processors i've seen an acer Aspire One 753 11.6 inch HD Netbook (Intel Celeron U3600 - 1.2 dual core 2mb L3, 4GB, 500GB, Wifi-N, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 H/P 64Bit for £340.

any thoughts?
Other than I wouldn't buy a machine with a Celeron processor...? lol

I've no pro or negative feelings about Lenovo but I'd certainly look into:
Lenovo S205 Netbook M63D4UK - Laptops Direct

·
Registered
418 Posts
Will check it out. Heard only good things about the ideapads. What's wrong with the celeron? From what I can see its an early version or a downclocked i3. Anything I should know about celerons? As far as I can see it has a slower clock speed than the atom processors but better performance.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
To be fair, I've no experience of Celeron notebooks, only laptops and desktops, both of which have always been painfully slow. Admittedly the last one was running with Vista on my sister's laptop, but it was only really bough for web and a bit of e-mail. It just feels like an inadequate processor when it can't even cope with that (and that's after ensuring only small footprint AV was installed).

21 - 40 of 57 Posts