Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a newbie here (both forum and to Alfa’s). Back in 2017 I had to say a fond farewell to my 3 door BMW M135i as the birth of my first child called for something more practical. So I went for an Audi A4 Avant with a punchy 3.0 V6 Diesel engine to satisfy the family requirements and still have some grunt/fun. Truth be told whilst the Audi is lightning quick in a straight line and keeps on pulling it’s not exactly satisfying or exciting to drive and the diesel sound doesn’t invoke any emotion :-(. Now the BMW made you grin from ear to ear every time you drove it and you could have some great fun with the power through the rears with an awesome engine sound to boot.

So that brings me to my question....my current car is due to go back at the end of June and I’m looking for something fun and with some character and emotion attached. From all of my research and reading about the Giulia it feels like it’s the right car for me (although obviously can’t actually get in one and test drive at the moment). I am thinking Veloce as don’t think I can quite stretch to the Quad as much as I’d love 500 horses under the bonnet and that sweet engine note....So if I’m going for a Veloce which MY would people recommend and should I look out for the performance pack (or spec if go for a new one)

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi rupdiggity,

Also a newbie to the forum here, recently bought a MY2019 Veloce in Vesuvio Grey. My previous cars include 330d E46, A6 3.0 Quattro and also a 2009 Clio RS200, used mainly for the track.

Deciding on the Giulia was similar to your requirements above. Second hand, I found it really difficult to get the spec I wanted. Originally set my sights on a Veloce with the following two options;
  • Performance pack
  • Harman Kardon Sound Theatre 11 speaker upgrade
However, I found there weren't many for sale with even one of these options, and none close to where I live (Glasgow), so when I say a Vesuvio Grey with 14k miles, I test drove it and within a minute or so, decided I was buying it.

If you are going to buy used, there is a known rust issue (few posts on here about it), at the back of the roof lines where it meets the windscreen - worth checking befor you buy.

Weather hasn't been great since I bought the car, so I've not been driving it too hard, but looking forward to any drive in the car. Even been volunteering to do the nursery drop offs in the morning

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Fabulous cars. You won't regret it. There really isn't any difference on the MY until you get to 2020 when there were some design tweaks and upgrades to the interior trim along with some new colours/wheel options etc. The running gear is the same. So I would search for the lowest mileage, newest Veloce you can afford. They are very well built and much more exclusive than the more tutonic German options in my opinion. The balance is perfect and they are a joy to drive. You feel like you are driving something special and are a bit of a head-turner. You will not be disappointed. Obviously you are going to get a biased opinion on here but, fear not, you'll never look back! The Veloce is probably the best all-rounder. Plenty of punch and power with very little turbo lag. The QV is the ultimate option but I'm not sure where you can enjoy that sort of power in the UK these days - unless on a track. That said, the QV will be the obvious replacement for my Veloce when in a position to do so..

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce 2020
23 Posts
I was in the same/similar situation, looking at 1-2 year old Veloces. In the end I found that finance deals are so much better (low APR + dealer discount) on new cars so I ended up buying new. MY20 would be an easy choice for me, better interior trim, ACC as standard option, but that's personal preference. The only thing I still need to get used to is the 19" wheels and runflat combo giving harsher low speed ride compared to the test drive car with 18" and adaptive dampers (in perf pack).

·
Registered
23 Posts
One thing I could not get my head around - in a 40k+ car rear air vents are an option... 2nd class passengers? Very rare in used ones, if it matters to you. Fortunately my little ones are not complaining, yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely odd to make rear vents an option on a car at this price bracket.

Other option to consider, depending on motorway miles done, would be active cruise control. I assumed it would have it since our old 2014 Golf SE came with it as standard.

Have seen a couple of articles about retro fitting, doesn't look too involved.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all - some helpful advice and interesting to hear there are some good dealer discounts and finance deals for new models. Bizarre no rear air vents as standard!! How different is the interior on the MY20 vs the earlier models?

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
One think I could not get my head around - in a 40k+ car rear air vents are an option... 2nd class passengers? Very rare in used ones, if it matters to you. Fortunately my little ones are not complaining, yet.
We had a high spec A3 Sportback in 2007 and there were no rear vents but a Skoda taxi I went in at the time , based on the same platform , did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks all - some helpful advice and interesting to hear there are some good dealer discounts and finance deals for new models. Bizarre no rear air vents as standard!! How different is the interior on the MY20 vs the earlier models?
In MY20 they changed the centre console dials, better feel, nicer to operate, leather wrapped gear selector instead of cheapish looking plastic one, exposed cupholders with little cubby hole in front instead of covered ones. ACC comes as standard (in theory, but seen 1-2 MY20 Veloces without it ???). The "best" one for me is the changed centre armrest having a mobile phone slot in front with wireless charger, just at the perfect place! I know it sounds... odd ;) a very small thing but I use it every time I get in the car, and appreciate the engineers effort to think about it and come up with the idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh and forgot the big one - much improved touchscreen infotainment in MY20

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
Those exposed cup holders!
The lid wasn’t deleted on the Stelvio, and you get vents in the rear

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce
357 Posts
Depending on your budget buy the newest Veloce you can afford (y) It's a great car a lightyears ahead of the Audi in terms of dynamics.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
Don’t forget the “luxury car tax“ on cars with a list price over £40k.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,755 Posts
..... fear not, you'll never look back!
Except you will ALWAYS look back every time you park and walk away. Usually more than once, unless something is wrong with you. ;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
At least we know what is important to BM and Audi drivers, rear air vents. Just had to go out and check if my Giulia had them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
😂😂. I would have probably never noticed the lack of air vents in the back! Thanks for all the tips and advice. Have asked a dealer to spec up a few different options to see if the price is palatable.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
😂😂. I would have probably never noticed the lack of air vents in the back! Thanks for all the tips and advice. Have asked a dealer to spec up a few different options to see if the price is palatable.
I don't know where you are based, but it is worth asking Beechdale, Derby what they can do for you. I've have always found Adrian the most helpful there.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,755 Posts
Carwow usually shows the best deals including from Beechdale. Johnsons in Swindon are also competitive.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't know where you are based, but it is worth asking Beechdale, Derby what they can do for you. I've have always found Adrian the most helpful there.
+1 For Beechdale sales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts