Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was thinking of upgrading my dipped head lights on my 2.0 GTV, reg 1999, with either direct replacement but brighter bulbs or using a HID conversion kit. However I am a bit confused. Everywhere I look I seem to be told to buy HB4 bulbs but in my manual it says HB3 and I think that is what is installed at the moment. Does anyone know which is right and why they are different?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
435 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question, I'm afraid, but just thought I'd mention that I'm going for the HID upgrade kit at 99 quid. They look lovely on Porsches, BMWs etc so I reckon they'll look great on my V6.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
Philips Extereme power or Osram Nightbreakers are good bulb upgrades and are legal.

Don't touch ebay unbranded bulb upgrades, they are rubbish. If you go over 55w you are also in danger of cooking your wiring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right mr brown it is the HB4 on the main beam, which are specified differently between the suppliers and my manual. As it is the dipped ones I am interested in upgrading it solves part of my dilemma. It is just a case of which upgrade to get now.

Symonh2000, when you were referring to the bulbs on ebay, did mean bulbs that were a direct replacements or the HID kits. The HID kits on ebay are going for about £40 has anyone given them a go?

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
I wasn't referring to the HID kits. I was referring to upgrade bulbs like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-SPIDER-96-XENON-50-BULBS-HB4-HID-AND-501_W0QQitemZ220289691770QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220289691770&_trkparms=72:1301|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-Upgrade-bulbs-Main-Beam-Alfa-GTV-6-Spider-HB4-501_W0QQitemZ160185224446QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160185224446&_trkparms=72:1301|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Get the correct branded ones. :thumbs:

I would be wary of HID kits. I don't think they are legal, I doubt they will be great quality for £40

After all on new cars they are option costing several hundred pounds.

·
Registered
435 Posts
whats hid kits, im interested
HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. It's basically a set of arc lamps for your car. I was going to get the kit from HIDS4U but I've just found out they're illegal, so I'm not going to do that anymore. They're a lot brighter but the law requires that they:

Include a self levelling mechanism
Include a headlamp wash function
Are mounted in a headlamp that was designed for them

And there's little chance of meeting any of these requirements on my car. Also now that I've given it more thought I don't believe they'd work well on a car that was never designed to have them. Car companies spend millions on this stuff. A kit costing £99 from an internet dealer just isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Go to Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Osram Bulbs, Car Fuses, Windscreen Repair Kits and enter your car details.. it will tell you all the bulbs for everly light in your car.

Brighter bulbs (as opposed to HID) don't really improve night visibility... there are a couple of insightful posts from someone in the industry that explains why here on the furom but don't have the links to post.

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
Brighter bulbs (as opposed to HID) don't really improve night visibility... there are a couple of insightful posts from someone in the industry that explains why here on the furom but don't have the links to post.

I would love to see those posts as I disagree.

Swapping standard halogen bulbs for Phillips extreme power made a massive improvement on the last 2 cars I have owned.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
It's something to do with lumosity (made up word!!).

Basically I think the upshot was that although they are brighter, their throw is no further in front of the car than normal bulbs which means that it actually looks darker outside their area of throw... the drawback with the GTV on normal headlights is that they don't have much of a throw so brighter bulbs don't help much.

This is from memory so some or all of the above may be hog wash :lol:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Your best bet is to go for a Xenon type upgrade. As Mr.brown says it should be these type:

My 2000 TS has HB3(9005) for dipped, HB4 (9006) for main beam
It won't appear much brighter but the colour is nicer.. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
aint it interesting how what the manual says and what youve got differ with these bulbs. manual said hb3 in mine an lo an behold thats exactly what it had, got some 50% brighter bulbs from halfrauds... my mates got a trade card so they were cheap an they have made a slight difference... best bulbs i had in a car where 100 main 80 dip h4s in my old beetle, blinded every bugger within 500 yards, gave rabbits arc eye an made the battery light come on:lol:

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
It's something to do with lumosity (made up word!!).

Basically I think the upshot was that although they are brighter, their throw is no further in front of the car than normal bulbs which means that it actually looks darker outside their area of throw... the drawback with the GTV on normal headlights is that they don't have much of a throw so brighter bulbs don't help much.

This is from memory so some or all of the above may be hog wash :lol:
As far as I understand it (not at all); you are not legally allowed to modify the 'area of throw' of your lights as it will cause problems for other road users. It will also fail an MOT.

I've thought long and hard (*innuendo goes here*) about HID kits, but the only legal / safe options are; better standard bulbs or; a professionally fitted (read; expensive) HID installation - not one of these £99 efforts from eBay.

Save yourself some money by reading this Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

and watching this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have just put the Phillips Premium HB3's in my GTV, and TBH they are no better than the original standard bulbs. I drove back from work last night in a light drizzle, it was dark, and when I got to the country section on the windy roads, I could barely see the road when on-coming traffic was approaching.

Having said that, the road markings are hardly white, but even so, I am considering upgrading to something a bit brighter.....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i had a set off aceparts off ebay too. be aware that they have it wrong. they will supply the main and dipped wrong. they state that dipped are hb4 and full are hb3 so the wattage will be out. i have installed them but dipped are using 65W hb3 and full are 55w hb4.

tried contacting aceparts last year and just tried again. be aware!!

neil

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
no they seemed to be slightly different in the size of tabs between HB3 and HB4. so only way to fit the aceparts kit is to have the wrong wattage in.

P

·
0 Posts
Take the bulbs out nellied - if the fittings are the same (like mine) you'll have HB3s in both main and dipped, otherwise one is HB3 and the other HB4 - they must have been using what they had in the corner when these were built :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts