Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is best. A GTV, GT, or the Brera? I dont think any of the modern Alfas are a good as a complete package as the GTV. I am obviously biased and if i had the money i would nt hesitate to have all three, they are all great cars.

The GTV is well reported in the motoring press since 1996 to be a very good handling car which i dont think has been reported as much with the GT or Brera.

In both 2.0 TS and 3.0 V6 form the car feels great. Both engines sound good and have their own character. Im not sure the latest GM ones do?

In summary, i think the GTV has the perfect balance of nice interiors, great looks (perhaps not as striking as the Brera), brilliant handling and fantastic engines and the GT and Brera dont quite tick all three boxes. They may be better in one aspect here and there but are not such a complete package.

What do you think??

R

·
0 Posts
Silly to compare a car that is worth peanuts with one worth plenty. Love my GTV and also love not having spent a fortune. Would love a Brera, but would baulk at the cost. GT does little for me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This proberly will sound stupied, but I really think out of all the alfa`s I`ve owned 147GTA and GT 3.2,the GTV is the most special to me. It maybe cause it was my first but, thinking about it it just really felt like a proper sports car, the inside was lush and it just felt Italian. I will own another one one day!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
When you use the term "complete package" it sounds like you must be considering such mundanities as practicality - which in the real world, most people need to some extent & the GTV has precious little of. The GTV is my favourite by a long way - but only because we also have a V70! Brera is a distant last because of being such a disappointment dynamically.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think it comes down to what's best for you.
I've never had a GTV, but always loved the look of it. I know very little about them.
I had a 3.2 Brera for 2+ years (on a lease) & loved it, but needed something a wee bit more practical & cheaper to run, without quite needing a 159sw.
The GT fits the bill for me.
Matt.

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
What do you think??
It is simple: which one produces the largest smile on my face? To me the GTV is the winner of the three.

The Brera is no option as it is too small (I don't fit in). The GT is drop dead gorgeous but not as special as the GTV. The GTV may look dated, but for the rest everything is spot on.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Horses for courses im afraid.

I liketeh look of the GTV and 7 or 8 years ago thought about buying one - no idea why I didnt.

The GT is a pretty decent drive and looks good but the interior could have been better, still loveours though as it can handle 3 kids in the back with ease.

Brera - well spider in my case, may not be the best dynamically but hell its a thing of real beauty.

Everyone will have a different opinion - me I would put all three in my garage if I could afford a cup.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hi All,

Love the GTV ........ Was given a GT as a courtesy car when mine was in the bodyshop a while back.......

Now, when I saw it I thought "Result" after all I'd seriously thought of maybe buying one later this year to replace the GTV ........ But now, after having driven it, that aspiration has gone clean out the window........ It was HORRIBLE !!!!

First of all........ All you proud GT owners. I apologise in advance. Car ownership is personal and to a great extent subjective.

I like the styling from the outside, the graphite grey is a good colur for this car. But then they stuck a "Bertone" badge on the side.......???....... I thought the only did that on Vauxhall Astra's ???

The very first thing I noticed when I got in, and you really can't miss them........ is the nasty, retro white dials. Looks like they've nicked them ourt of a Rover 75 and ........ a mate of mine had one of thoseand the dials are exactly the same..............

The GT is comfortable enough in a Sales rep / mondeo kind of way. The six speed box is good, but then they spoiled it by putting an "idiot gong" on reverse. I know when I'm selecting reverse, 'cos I have to lift up the ring under the gear knob......... and that little gem looks like a "ripspeed" accessory.............The 1.9 deisel engine is gutless......... The merc diesel I had 10 years ago was terrific.

The indicator stalk is in a daft position............ visibiliy out the back is ridiculous (I thought the GTV was bad). Alfa for reasons I cannot fathom still insist of putting a nasty radio/cd player in, the very same thing I dumped out of my GTV.......... daft little buttons for fog lights, door locks and stuff........

There are a few good points........... Boot is a good size. It has a cup holder........ and the digital display (between the nasty white dials is very Audi..............Generally I wasn't impressed.

Can't comment on the Brera other than they do look good from the outside and the interior of the Brera S looks good........ Maybe I should test one sometime when I decide to change the GTV ???

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I would love to own a Brera and a GT and I guess I will when they become as affordable as my GTV.

But Ive got a feeling any newer car will be better than an older one. I read somewhere the Brera (Despite subjective opinions about its handling) still felt better and newer to the GT which in turn had a better and newer feel to the GTV. And I can defintely tell you my GTV feels and handles much better than my old Alfetta GTV !

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why bother with the comparison? They're all different cars in their own right with different strenghs and weaknesses. All designed for different markets and different times. If you like your car that's cool.
Good point.....is the GTV a sports car and the GT and Brera more 'long distance crusers'?

I was thinking along the lines that they are all trying to do the same thing, but perhaps they are not.

I need a GTV as a sports car and a Brera/GT for a cruser.:lol:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Looks = Brera
Heart + Soul = GTV
Practicality = GT

Very Biased toward the Brera though I would like to see better performance!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Personal experience from owning both a GT and a GTV and having driven a Brera

Interior - GTV wins hands down, absolutely stunning. Though the brera is the best screwed together
Driving - Preferred the GT, much quicker rack and was infinitely chuckable. The GTV felt like more of a muscle car, which also had it's benefits. The Brera felt a bit too germanic for my liking, but better in S form
Practicality - GT wins this by a clear mile. Brera more practical than the GTV, but thats not saying much.
Special factor - GTV wins - everything about it feels special, the interior, the exterior design....beautiful.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Personal experience from owning both a GT and a Brera

Interior - GTV wins hands down, absolutely stunning
Driving - Preferred the GT, much quicker rack and was infinitely chuckable. The GTV felt like more of a muscle car, which also had it's benefits
Practicality - GT wins this by a clear mile
Special factor - GTV wins - everything about it feels special, the interior, the exterior design....beautiful.
What about the Brera ?

How does the Mx5 compare to the GTV ?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What about the Brera ?

How does the Mx5 compare to the GTV ?
My bad, I meant the GTV, but I have also driven a few Brera's, so added that detail in too :D.

As much as it pains me, the MX5 is far more playful than the GTV.

The GTV has tons and tons of grips and a relatively slow rack, whilst the MX5 is so light and agile with well weighted/quick steering (not to TVR level) and a back end that just loves to play.

However I did prefer the firmness of the GTV's suspension and the passive rear wheel steer was still enjoyable.

The MX5 can't get anywhere near the GTV for interior/exterior design, or that special feeling that you get everytime you jump in a GTV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts