Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a new Guilietta (1.6 diesel), but there have been some issues which the dealership seems happy to resolve by exchanging the car.

There are two in the price bracket – the 2.0 Diesel and 1.4 Multi-air, both TCT. both in Alfa red :) :) :evil:

What are the pros and cons of both?

Obviously the petrol will sound more alfisti, but the diesel has two exhausts – call me a big kid at heart – but, hey, that’s what brings us to the brand I guess!

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I like my Diesel in every way except for the noise it makes.

Whichever you go for will depend on whether you are willing to sacrifice a pleasant engine noise (MA) for about an extra 10mpg of fuel economy that you get with the Diesel.

The diesel torque is instant and quite addictive, but I do miss the smooth revvyness of a petrol.

Be aware that there are a few different types of 2.0 diesel. You have 140bhp, 150bhp, 170bhp and 175bhp TCT versions.

Do you know which version it is?

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
The MA pulls surprisingly torquily, if there's such a word and feels smoother. It's also better on nimbleness as the mass of the engine over the wheels is noticeably reduced. My wife noticed it unprompted when she used a loan car I had while the MA was in for a service. As for exhaust pipes I'm the only person on here who doesn't see the benefit of advertising pollution. Not on a sub-200 hp car anyway!

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
And you can always fit a twin pipe and replacement twin exit bumper section if it bothers you.

Personally I like the twin exhausts, it give the rear more symmetry.

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
The Giulietta is assymetrical at the front so I don't see any reason not to have a similar condition at the back. A plate on one side at the front and one pipe at the side at the rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha - I went for the wheelbarrow option of the twin exhaust with the 2.0 diesel :) Although I am taking the train just now I am likely to be pounding the motorways fairly soon, so economy is the key I think!

Have to say the dealer has been reasonable - they are taking back the new G from 4 weeks ago and exchanging for a much better model for a very small exchange balance, so I am a very happy bunny.

Red Alfa, twin exhaust - Mid life crisis...... :paperbag:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pick her up tomorrow morning - I cant wait. When I collected the one I am rejecting I did not have that excited feeling, I was thinking what have I done - it was a more boring colours and under-powered. However, to be collecting a bright red semi-auto with twin pipes and a field full of horses is a rather special thing - Cant wait to break in yet another brand new car in the space of a month :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Nice one! I tried and tried to get a TCT+Diesel combination when I ordered my Giulietta in 2014, but the equipment packs conspired against me. (Someone at Alfa UK had decided to link the TCT with a load of boy-racer styling crap that I didn't want and couldn't remove post-delivery).

The 2.0 is a good engine... but then, there isn't a bad engine in the Giulietta.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, liking the way it drives, especially the chrome grill, the new black one is wrong!. However, I have something of an issue with the car. It is a pre-registered and has been parked up by a main road by the dealers as opposed to looked after, so has several stone chips. It also has several scratches largely caused by the attrocious way it has been cleaned – there are also lots of swirl mark tiny scratches caused by the car polisher. The local Revive guy is booked in to see if he can resolve things – such a shame that such poor care and preparation from a truculant sales manager has taken such a shine off an otherwise perfect lovely car that came from the manufacturer. I am apalled that firstly such poor care and incompetence has caused this problem, and secondly that the lack of QA has allowed it to pass through them. Really hoping that the damage can be sorted and sorted well, or I will need to look into rejecting the car which I don’t want to do as I really like it, other than the scratches.

Loving the way it drives through – waiting until I have done over 1000 miles before I push it, which could be a while as I am taking the train to my current contract and just driving to the health club – currently has under 100 miles at a week old!!

Has anyone else had bad car prep experiences from their main dealer?

·
Administrator
88,043 Posts
Unfortunately swirls etc aren't unheard of on new cars, that's why some buyers request the dealer to not touch the car when it's delivered to the dealership, it's also the reason detailers offer a new car preparation service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts