Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my first post on this forum so go easy on me.

My 159 1.9D has the glow plug error coming up ! checked them an one has gone, how ever she still starts but want to get it fixed :) Which spark plugs are the best ? NGK, Bosch etc or does it not really make much difference ? also should i change all four or just the one thats out ?
cheers Jon
p.s i love my alfa lots :)

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Hi Jon, and welcome to AO :)

I believe all popular brands of spark plugs are pretty much of equal quality... However it is important to replace all 4 plugs as a set, in order to maintain equal power balance & performance across all 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers m8 as i thought :) will order off the bay now :) whats with the different voltage ? think some were 8v an some 14v im prob wrong on the exact numbers lol should i be goin for the higher voltage ? or will these drain the battery more ? ive read the batterys arent to good on the 159 due to tht much tech it drains the battery ?
Jon

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hi, when it says 8v it means for the 8 valve engine, yours will probably be a 16 valve engine..
All cars use 12 volt battery's
On a diesel it is ok to just change 1 glow plug as they dont effect the running of the engine, but they are cheap enough so you might as well change the set, I got mine from ebay for about £26 for the set, they are very easy to change but have been known to snap off so dont force them when removing them

·
Registered
5 Posts
glow plug error

Hi guys my first post on this forum so go easy on me.

My 159 1.9D has the glow plug error coming up ! checked them an one has gone, how ever she still starts but want to get it fixed :) Which spark plugs are the best ? NGK, Bosch etc or does it not really make much difference ? also should i change all four or just the one thats out ?
cheers Jon
p.s i love my alfa lots :)
h,,i been offered a 159 turismo jan 2008 ,car starts ok but glow plug message flashes up uthanks vic nable to acces glow plugs.car is 2400diesel ,5 cyl how hard to change glow plugs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
jon how did u check glow plugs ?ngk or bosch are best .they have all done same milage ,best to change them all .how many miles has car done ? vic

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Glow plugs, remove them and put a 12v feed to them and if they glow red hot they are working fine, you only need to replace the ones that have failed it is not like spark plugs on a petrol engine

Very often the glow plug light comes on because the glow plug ECU fails

Ned

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just do a resistance check from the top of the glow plug to and earth point. It is very rare for a glow plug ecu to have failed but after you have replaced the plug, you will need to plug it into a diagnostic computer to delete the error as the glow plug warning light will continue to flash until this is done...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just do a resistance check from the top of the glow plug to and earth point. It is very rare for a glow plug ecu to have failed but after you have replaced the plug, you will need to plug it into a diagnostic computer to delete the error as the glow plug warning light will continue to flash until this is done...
I changed all 4 glow plugs and get only the message when I start the car with lights on. I relate it to a not so good battery. When I take care that lights and other consumers are off, I don’t get the message.

Does the ECU on 159 delete the error after few starting without the fault present?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the ECU wil Store any fault that occurs on the car, to delete the fault you need to plug into diagnostics. easy DIY job, just need a small amount of computer knowledge and an ELM 327 OBD 2 USB cable, sounds complicated but if you do a search, you will find them on ebay, cheap....

·
Registered
149 Posts
After 3 or 4 drive cycles ( drive the car for 8 miles, key off and repeat 3 or 4 times) the light should go off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts