Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lookin for a while now at gettin a 159 after selling my gt a year ago.
I was dead set on gettin the 2.4 diesel however now I've learned that the 1.75 petrol supposed to pack a punch and be around the same MPG so less fuel costs

what are people thoughts and experience on the 1.75 turbo lump

cheers kris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got a 159 TBI 2 weeks ago, I get 30mpg fast lane motorway driving.
MPG is fine with me(it is of course low compared to VAG TFSI cars), and performance is great :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had the 1750 tbi engine in a sportwagon for over a year now. Great engine once you readjust to the mpg. Loads of pull and you can illicit a nice rasp if you really push it. Haven't had the 2.4 derv but had the 170bhp 2.0 diesel, it was noticeably heavier feeling and less conducive to a bit of throwing it about. The tbi being a much nicer feel in my opinion. Not sure I'd return to diesel now.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Been lookin for a while now at gettin a 159 after selling my gt a year ago.
I was dead set on gettin the 2.4 diesel however now I've learned that the 1.75 petrol supposed to pack a punch and be around the same MPG so less fuel costs

what are people thoughts and experience on the 1.75 turbo lump

cheers kris
I own TBI for 0.5 year and did around 6kkm (<4kmiles) as far, previously I had 1.9JTDM @ 190bhp/380Nm for 6 years. TBI runs nicely as it comes from factory, but very quickly I get my ECU mod to 240BHP/370Nm anyway (I was lacking torgue vs former 159).
It has M32 gearbox, but I suppose bit improved, as runs way better than the one I had in 1.9 previously, so I guess/hope it is at last bit improved (lubrication/reliability or bearings).

1.75TBI have sometimes turbo charger issues (before 50kmiles) - suspicion of too long oil change intervals (20kmiles) + poor Selenia Star PE 5W40 used + screw/with filter grid before turbocharger gets clogged with dirt from oil.

TBI is fuel hungry. Mine does around 20mpg (14L/100km) in town at short distances like 2-5 mile runs from cold engine(but easily can go lower mpg if accelerator is overused), and at best will do around 37mpg (7.5L/100km) while driven on 5th/6th gear at 100km/h (60mph).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts