Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering getting a 156 as a daily (so my stripped out ibiza can be a proper toy), but undecided which engine will be best for me; 2.0 JTS, 1.9JTD or 2.4 JTD

I currently get about 35mpg sat at 80 on the motorway so need something more economical than that.

What sort of economy do all 3 engines see on the motorway? Both mapped and standard? What else can be done to up power?

·
Banned
130 Posts
had a 1.6 and 2..0 litre twinny also a 2.4 10v now have a 1.9 jtdm in my experience 2.4 10v wins by miles also remapped mine

·
Vendor
45,822 Posts
2.4 10v, the 1999-2001 models are cheap as chips but the 2002-2003 models have the later, nicer interior.

Or 1.9 16v, these have a 6-speed box and are a bit better on fuel than the 2.4 10v but not as flexible and sound proper rough in comparison, like a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin. :lol:

1.9 is considerably lighter at the front tho so feels nimbler, which is nice.

G

·
0 Posts
V6... Go on... You know you want to:lol::thumbs:

But like all the rest of the scardy cats above... hehehe Go for the 2.4 10V JTD best compromise and blend:thumbs:

Did I just recommend a tractor powered oil burner????:wow:
Something wrong with me... call a Doctor quick!:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
the 2.4 jtd by far,just for the sound alone and good on fuel.
the 01 156 is cheap to buy and be wise,timing belt, waterpump etc.:thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
V6... Go on... You know you want to:lol::thumbs:

But like all the rest of the scardy cats above... hehehe Go for the 2.4 10V JTD best compromise and blend:thumbs:

Did I just recommend a tractor powered oil burner????:wow:
Something wrong with me... call a Doctor quick!:D
why do you 'put up' with the 2.5 v6, you should up-grade to 3.0 :cheese:

·
Vendor
45,822 Posts
Whats the difference between the various 2.4 10v engines (for the different power outputs)
Early version is 136bhp, they updated the turbo in 2001 to give 140bhp but a more flexible powerband, they remapped this engine in 2002 to give it 150bhp and also upgraded the interior at the same time. That was the last 10v.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I bought an early one, bought a late turbo and took it to my remapper I would be seeing 200+ ?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
... like a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin. :lol:

It's been a while since I've heard that :lol: Whatever model you go for make sure you get the veloce spec (in the saloon version at least) because the suspension is so much better.

As for MPG when I was doing mostly motorway miles I'd easily get over 600 miles to the tank ... and I'm always in the outside lane tail gaiting the BMW drivers :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So if I bought an early one, bought a late turbo and took it to my remapper I would be seeing 200+ ?

I'm afraid there's more difference than that, the EGR is different as is the turbo waste gate ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
its possible to get 200+ bhp but then you will have to say goodbay to your cluch and mybee your gearbox as well :) well - if you will go slow at all times then it should be ok , but then why would you remapp your toy? :D

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
just curious, once you start touching the 200bhp bar which type of gearbox/clutch do you need to substitute it with? Im assuming the driveshafts wouldnt cope with this power as the same with the turbo... Am i right?

·
Registered
970 Posts
just curious, once you start touching the 200bhp bar which type of gearbox/clutch do you need to substitute it with? Im assuming the driveshafts wouldnt cope with this power as the same with the turbo... Am i right?
If you take the 2.4 10V 150HP you could easily get to 200bhp with just an uprated clutch...valeo does one at very reasonable prices

1 - 20 of 54 Posts