·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No more than 4 psi as I have Dellorto twin carbs.
This facet pump is a low pressure one.

I'd like to be able to play with the pressure between 1.5 and 4.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like the second blue regulator as it has a built in gauge.

Also plenty of blanking plates on ebay but for alfa???

Any others that would fit? Mini/Ford/...?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Brit if you are going to use the pump shown you do not need the regulator 4psi is the correct pressure for carbs! the pump needs to be mounted as low as possible and close to the fuel tank! as they are a push type and not a suction type pump if you get what i mean? I have one of those fitted on mine, it is mounted on the front of the spare wheel well, it has been no bother at all! I made a blanking plate out off a sheet of aluminum You just need to remove the pump pushrod!!:)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Brit if you are going to use the pump shown you do not need the regulator 4psi is the correct pressure for carbs! the pump needs to be mounted as low as possible and close to the fuel tank! as they are a push type and not a suction type pump if you get what i mean? I have one of those fitted on mine, it is mounted on the front of the spare wheel well, it has been no bother at all! I made a blanking plate out off a sheet of aluminum You just need to remove the pump pushrod!!
Thanks mate.
I was just concerned that 4 psi was on the limit of the float valve and may leak, hence the regulator to tune it down a touch.
But if your's works without leaking then that's good.

I was thinking I could attach it maybe at the front, possibly just where the solid pipe comes along to the front of the car.

Is this line too far from the tank for this 'push' pump?

(never had a close look at the connection to the fuel tank- does it have a solid pipe connected to the tank? Did you have to cut the pipe and fit the pump there with new connections?)
What about the wiring so far away from the fusebox? You attached a positive fused wire along the fuel line to the back?

One more thing: Did you wire it up so it starts pumping on the ignition switch ON before you turn it to the starter motor position if you get what I mean. So it fills the fuel lines before the starter motor is initiated.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That will be too far away! I Have re piped mine and the fuel and brake pipes run inside! There is a rubber pipe between fuel tank and main fuel pipe so you could connect into it there! By the way the fuel return is blocked off on mine! no problems with float issues! I have run wires to the pump at the rear wired up through a relay that is ignition operated, but i have put in an overide so if i have to have the ignition on i can turn off the fuel pump!! i have hidden the switch aswell so a bit more security! :cool:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a rubber pipe between fuel tank and main fuel pipe so you could connect into it there!
Great. Easy to put in line then without having to cut the original solid pipes.
Although I think it would be best to keep the return flow pipe open so it does not put strain on the pump when for example it's idling and not using much fuel.

I have run wires to the pump at the rear wired up through a relay that is ignition operated, but i have put in an overide so if i have to have the ignition on i can turn off the fuel pump!! i have hidden the switch aswell so a bit more security!
Good idea to have the overide. :thumbs:
I could run the positive cable along side the underside fuel lines I guess with cable ties.

Just a simple toggle switch next to the relay should do the trick.

Thanks

(Just filled up the tank to it's max yesterday! ) Have to wait until it's on empty then drain it. Will be a good chance to see how clean it is at the same time I guess.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That will be fine! they dont use a lot of current so no heat build up in the wiring!!
Just another thought about the wiring.

My rear demister is knackered.

Maybe I could use that circuit and button! What's the amperage on the relay for the rear demister?
I could take the wiring from that at the rear and feed it down below and use the switch inside the car.

Maybe reverse the switch so the pump is on when depressed and off when I press it.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also until I find/build a blanking plate I guess I can just use the old pump attached (with rod removed).
No harm in doing that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts