Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Folks I'm going to treat the GTV to new front discs, I'm sold on some Tarox, but which ones, F2000 fewer grooves take a bit longer to cool but are stronger, G88 more grooves better cooling, slightly not as strong, I doubt I'll do any track days but you never know, Whats your thoughts....answers on a postcard ...

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Forget it. IMO, a good new set of quality standard discs any time, at less than half the price. Use good quality performance pads (I use Ferodo DS2500 on my Giulia Ti Super Rep), and the thing stops on a tanner.
I've been down the road of cross drilled and grooved discs before, during 17 years of road rallying and tarmac stages, and had nothing but bad experiences. Warping, and cracking between the cross drillings. After two goes with them, I resorted back to good quality standard discs, and never had any more issues.
That's my experience, putting standard discs under more stress than you'll ever experience on the road, or occasional trackdays.
Save your money and spend it on something else.
See the same subject came up 4 years ago, and note the next to the last post, by Jim Spackman of Alfaholics, similar experience to myself.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the...ont-discs-will-9mm-instead-of-11mm-be-ok.html

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats a spanner in the works, funnily enough I remember that post and commenrs, well I'm not that stubborn I won't take advice, but what about the ones with just a few grooves?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Same issue, One of the sets I had years ago were very similar to that.
I only used standard discs / top competition pads / good brake fluid after that for fierce competition, and never had a problem. Night road rallying and tarmac stages were (are) the hardest stress you can put your brakes through.
You don't need them, so save the money.
Only my opinion.
Steve

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Out of interest Steve, are the DS2500's suitable for road use or are they too "hard"? - cheers

·
Registered
384 Posts
Out of interest Steve, are the DS2500's suitable for road use or are they too "hard"? - cheers
Perfect for road use Martin. I have to admit I was surprised, half expecting them to be like the old DS11's I used to use on all my rally cars back in the day, ie "accident at the end of the street" until they got warmed up, but no, right out of the box, once bedded in, they behave just like a normal pad, but with much greater stopping power. Ferodo DS2500, pt number FCP11H.
Highly impressed with them. Got them at a bargain price, too. (Not from the links below). I've done around 1500 miles on them so far, including a 1000 mile trip to Classic Le Mans last year with a lot of weight aboard, a few fast laps around Donington, and there's no noticeable wear yet.
As long as you bed them in properly, they're terrific. Bedding in instructions are in the box.
https://www.tmsmotorsport.co.uk/new-parts/ferodo/ferodo-fcp11h-ds2500-pads-fcp11h

https://classicalfa.com/br062-ferodo-ds2500-fast-road-track-day-1750-2000-front-pads/
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Thanks Steve, very useful, I don't have a problem with my brakes but the standard Ferodo pads are getting a little thin so might as well replace them with the best. cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts