Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, clutch has started slipping on my remapped 2.4JTD 2002 156. It's only done 43k, of which the last 2k have been after the map, so a bit early for the clutch to go but guess it can't be anything else.

Rather than replace it with a standard new clutch I'm thinking it would probably be best to go for something a bit uprated to make sure it copes with the extra torque fine in the long run. Anyone got any recommendations of what to go for and where to get it from? Don't want to spend a fortune at all, just want something that will do the job in hand well. Cheers :)

Oh, and I've got a tame Alfa mechanic so won't be needing it fitted, just want to buy the kit on it's own :)

·
Vendor
48,181 Posts
Just bought this, I'm booked in for wednesday after next for fitting at Bluebell in Nweton Aycliffe.

Only one left, so be quick! Not sure on the quality yet though as its not fitted, but its supposed to be better and can handle more torque and higher temperatures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, had seen that one on Ebay, it's a definite possibility. If you don't mind posting back here once you've had it fitted it would be great to know what it's like :D Only 1 left on that auction but he's got two more auctions with 3 each in them ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ok, clutch has started slipping on my remapped 2.4JTD 2002 156. It's only done 43k, of which the last 2k have been after the map, so a bit early for the clutch to go but guess it can't be anything else.

Rather than replace it with a standard new clutch I'm thinking it would probably be best to go for something a bit uprated to make sure it copes with the extra torque fine in the long run. Anyone got any recommendations of what to go for and where to get it from? Don't want to spend a fortune at all, just want something that will do the job in hand well. Cheers :)

Oh, and I've got a tame Alfa mechanic so won't be needing it fitted, just want to buy the kit on it's own :)
Have`nt you just posted this for sale in the classifieds?

·
Vendor
48,181 Posts
I'll let you know, but it'll be a while before I notice any difference as I'll be letting it properly bed in before I give it any beans. Oh and its a Valeo too :D

My standard clutch is not actually slipping all the time yet, it only does it when it gets really hot, like on the North East run out. If I drive reasonably steady and ease the fun pedal down and only to the floor after 2,500 rpm it doesn't slip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have`nt you just posted this for sale in the classifieds?
Yep, that's me. The clutch isn't slipping enough to even mention in the ad yet - I've only noticed it once or twice and as with Pud it's only when it's really warmed up. Most of the time it's fine and I'd reckon it's still got a fair bit of life in it yet. Couldn't find any other uprated clutches so I made a cheeky offer on that clutch on Ebay and it was accepted, so it's on the way to me. I'll either include it with the car when it's sold or install it myself in due course. Whoever buys her is going to be getting a very very nice car :)

·
Vendor
48,181 Posts
What did you offer? I got £125 accepted, about £136 with delivery. I'd seen £110 rejected when I was watching the same item about two months previous, so thought I'd offer a bit more.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yep, that's me. The clutch isn't slipping enough to even mention in the ad yet - I've only noticed it once or twice and as with Pud it's only when it's really warmed up. Most of the time it's fine and I'd reckon it's still got a fair bit of life in it yet. Couldn't find any other uprated clutches so I made a cheeky offer on that clutch on Ebay and it was accepted, so it's on the way to me. I'll either include it with the car when it's sold or install it myself in due course. Whoever buys her is going to be getting a very very nice car :)
:) Good luck mate;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What did you offer? I got £125 accepted, about £136 with delivery. I'd seen £110 rejected when I was watching the same item about two months previous, so thought I'd offer a bit more.
I must have caught him on a good day, my offer of £110 was accepted ;) Wasn't going to offer that low but I saw the cheapest he had accepted before was £120 so thought I'd give it a shot!!

·
Vendor
48,181 Posts
I must have caught him on a good day, my offer of £110 was accepted ;) Wasn't going to offer that low but I saw the cheapest he had accepted before was £120 so thought I'd give it a shot!!
OOH you cheeky beggar. Nice one matey, you got a bargain there ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've got a 156 2.4 jtd which had been chipped by the previous owner.
When I went to test drive the car he had the chip fitted. He didn't tell me that at the time. I decided to buy the car. I picked it up a week later and noticed a differance in power.
When I questioned him (a work collegue) he told me about the chip and offered it to me for an extra £180.:mad:
He lent me the chip to try and I put it back on the car. I noticed that the clutch slipped when booting the car so I took it off and told him he could stick it up his a**e.
Eight months later the clutch began to slip again.
On inspection at my local garage they found the dual mass flywheel was u/s. £390 for the part alone!!! I had the clutch replaced at the same time and the bill came to £740.
The moral of this rather long winded story is;
Never trust a work collegue and also expect expensive repair bills if you have the car chipped/remapped.:(

·
Vendor
48,181 Posts
New clutch is brilliant! No slipping at all, now its thoroughly bedded in. Took about 7 and a half hours labour to fit (BMC, Newton Aycliffe) though :wow:

The pedal feels so light, and the judder I got when setting off has gone too. Thoroughly recommended, as is the garage that fitted it :D

EDIT:: However, they noticed my radiator is knackered, which explains why it is running hot, so if anyone can help me source a new radiator, click the previous link and help me out, cheers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.