Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right I've got my 166 back after 32 days! It was so good to drive it again.

I switched the engine on and just let it idle for about 15 minutes as it hadn't run in a month. However there is the distinctive smell of fumes and when I look at the exhaust pipe I see the cat and mid pipe are hinging down slightly. I also know that the attachments on the engine side of the cat have rusted away.

So it looks like I'll be needing a new one. lucky buypartsby come to the rescue!

I can buy a cat for £203.67 with a ceramic internal monolith. (whats a ceramic internal monolith?)

or I can buy one for £376.99 with a 376.99 stainless steal internal monolith.

Or if I've gone completely daft I can buy one for £565.80!

Now I'm very tempted by the £200 pound one as I can sneak it past the wife. Will I regret buying a ceramic internal monolith? (as far as I'm aware that's a big hairy elephant with tusks)

Oh no here its is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith

No sure why I need one in my exhaust. It doesn't sound very sporty?

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I've been looking around for the 64 and have found Uni-Fit to be a very tempting option. I bought a system from the cat back for the Daewoo mother ship from them and am happy with it so I imagine I'll buy from them eventually as the alternative is, as you've seen, very expensive in OE guise.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
You only need a new one if it fails the emissions or falls off the car.

It probably jist needs a guid run.

Laceys full new system sailed its emissions today.New cat and new lambda front pipes too.

Also rock all wrong with a ceramic cat.

Pomeo

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cannot dump the cat and run an open box instead with a connection for the O2 sensor ? as long as O2 sensor is connected and works,your CO will be 1 or under..is that enough for the MOT ?/
Power wise you will be corrupted..:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts