Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my GTV 2.0 needs various bits and bobs doing but I cant afford everything all at once and have already spent a few hundred in the first 2 weeks of ownership which I was happy to do. The rear squeeks like mad so Im upgrading the bushes with Poweflex ones. I see they come as kits and wondered which kit I should order first, which would make the most difference?
Oh and is there a kit that I could do myself without access to a press?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
find out which ones are failing the worst and prioritise. i believe that the bushes on a TS differ from the V6 by not having rose joints and that if left the sub frame could get worn and result in needing replacement being far too costly. i've been told that there are ways to push out bushes using 2 sizes of socket sets but not sure.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The squeeking is mostly from the springpan arm bushes. These bushes take the highest loads and tend to deteriorate first. On the older TS cars these were a solid bush, on later cars (perhaps JTS on) they have the rose-jointed variety (all V6 cars have these as well). The solid bushes are not so bad to remove but the rose jointed ones are much more difficult. Also when removing any bushes you need to ensure that all the material is removed, and you're left with a clean smooth inner surface to fit the new powerflex bushes.

If you do the springpan bushes first (powerflex codes PFR1-713 and 714) then you should also consider the transverse arms as well (PFR1-710, 711, 712), these are easier to replace and also dramatically improve the handling as well.

Last on the list should be the upper wishbones (PFR1-716), they don't do a great deal really, and take the least strain of the lot. I have done mine, but really you can place these last.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a useful thread for me as I'm going to have a go at this soon.

Just to clarify, the three PF's on this page, would be prioritised top-to-bottom (most expensive first)?

Alfa Romeo GTV and Spider Suspension

Also is this a good price, or is there somewhere better to get them from? 178.60 inc. VAT + delivery

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Just to clarify, the three PF's on this page, would be prioritised top-to-bottom (most expensive first)?
The first in the list (at £68 for six bushes) are for the transverse arms, and this is certainly worth doing as the job is relatively straightforward in terms of fitting and replacing the arms. The bushes are coloured 'mid blue' by the way because the compound for these bushes is the most compliant in the powerflex range. Next up are the spring pan bushes (four in total), these are the ones that give the most trouble, not only to fit correctly but to get the arms back in as well. They are a darker blue in colour indicating a higher density grade since these bushes take a great deal of strain when driving. To be honest, the rose jointed version of the springpan arms is the way to go, but they are very expensive to buy. Last up are the upper wishbone bushes, as I said you can really place these last in the list as they are generally the last to wear out. Price looks ok, you could also try Alfashop in Norwich they're always competitively priced.

Forget powerflexing the front wishbones by the way, the balljoints on the arms wear out well before the bushes, so money down the drain. Just keep the OE arms/droplinks in good condition. Fitting a strutbrace generally helps the front as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:thumbs: Very well explained, thanks. So the spring pan bushes are the hardest ones to do eh?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Very well explained, thanks. So the spring pan bushes are the hardest ones to do eh?
I'm not sure whether the spec of the springpan bushes has changed since I last fitted them 3 years ago (at the third attempt). Apparantly the bushes were originally supplied without any supporting washers, but at some point it was found that one of the bushes (can't remember if it was inner or outer) tended to get chewed up with all the action going on. Powerflex then supplied the supporting washer without reducing the thickness of the bush sleeve, hence the difficulty in fitting. You can adjust of course but it does make it more tricky. As I say, the rose-jointed springpans are the way to go, but they are so expensive......:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts