Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been putting up with it now for a while and want to get to the bottom of it.
every road hump and pothole I get the squeek! Now there's also a bit of play as i get the squeek, so a little rattle as well. It's the O/S front and it's very much on the up and down movement that I get it, not swerving left or right? Asked my mechanic to take a look and was told that to find it might end up costing me too much so he suggested holding on to my money. Problem is I do want to get it sorted as it takes away some of the pleasure of driving. Anyone got a suggestion or idea as to wether it's ant-roll bar or wishbone? I know it's difficult to say which, but maybe someone has had the same drama and managed to sort it? cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine also squeeks, no play on the steering though and seems to be most noticeable on speed bumps but sometimes a slightly sunken manhole can do it too.

If it helps you at all, I used some silicone grease on the wishbone bushes and the noises stopped (albeit temporarily)- which suggests that it is definitely the upper wishbone causing the issues. I would guess if you did the same and it didn't stop or significantly reduce the noise then you are looking at ARB.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Commonly its the upper wishbones, however in my case its the ARB bushes creaking away and I totally agree, it's horrible.

I was so convinced it was my uppers, i replaced them a few weeks back - but the noise remained.

A good test you can do, and I should have done, is jack the car up, disconnect and tie off the ARB drop links and go for a gentle drive. If the noise is gone, it's the ARB. of course, if it remains, then the likely cause is the uppers :)

In the end, I'm glad i replaced the uppers because as it happens they were worn, but still quite. The car is immensely improved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mine did exactly the same was the upper wishbones... did them pretty much as the above link says not a bad job at all to be honest

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blimey?! Cheers for the response chaps:thumbs:
I work 6 nights a week so only one day off for me, but this weekend so long as it aint raining....
Gonna have a go with the spanners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts